Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

The igniter on one of the burners on my maytag Gemini range

Customer Question

the igniter on one of the burners on my maytag Gemini range keeps igniting. I had a party last night, someone spilled a huge amount of salad dressing onto the range. I cleaned it and it seemed ok, but when I turned the oven on the igniter on that burner started to click
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Not sure what else I can tell you. The range and oven were both cold when the accident happened. This is the first time I turned on the oven, and as the oven got hot, the igniter started clicking. I tried turning on the burner. the burned seemed to work OK but continued to click no matter what setting I had it on.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Appliance Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.

Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So this is a common problem and you can continue using the oven for now, but it won't stop clicking until everything dries out *hopefully*. Once you're done using the oven, just turn the circuit breaker off and let it sit for 48 hours and the spark switches which got wet from spilling. Right now one or more of the switches is wet so it thinks you're trying to light the burner all the time even though that isn't the case. Once the oven dries out it should stop clicking but if not, then the spark switch that got wet would need to be replaced. Now on Gemini ranges, it doesn't matter which spark switch failed, because they come as a kit with all of the burner switches as one assembly. These are the switches below the burner knobs.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 9 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am APPLIANCE-HVAC GURU a very experienced tech on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now.

Please allow time for me to respond, sometimes I get the questions or responses late so please be patient as I have no control over the site issues. NOTE, I have nothing to do with your payment to the site and did not receive that money.

I am a different tech, this will likely not dry out and if it does it will smell horrible. You need to remove the burners then the screws that hold the burners to the frame. Once they are removed the top will lift up so you can get at the area to clean up the spill, then remove the front trim to use an air duster can to blow out the switches to clean them all out and clean up any liquid that is in there. This is a little bit of a job to do, but honestly letting it sit and crust over and dry is not a good option. I work on these for a living and would never tell someone to let spilled salad dressing dry up.

The only way I receive any credit at all for my time is by you selecting a STAR USING THE 5 STAR or VOTING RATING SYSTEM AT THE TOP OF YOUR PAGE before you leave for me so please make sure you are rating me not another tech. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks GURU

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.

I found that trying to blow dry them out only pushes the spill further into the switches and ore likely to permanently short them out.

Just let me know when you get the top up to get them all cleaned out and we can go from there.