Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I have a Frigidaire glass top oven model # PLES389DCB and

Customer Question

I have a Frigidaire glass top oven model # ***** and something has shorted out. I was using the fry pan on the large right front burner when I say a flame jump out from under the pan. The oven then went off. I tried to flip the breaker but it refused to engage. I pulled the plug and the breaker did work, so I know it is not the issue. What steps should I take to diagnose the issue. (One side note, not sure if this has anything to do with the issue. This happened last week too, and at that time I was able to just flip the breaker. I have 5 burners, the center back is not controlled by the knobs, but rather by the push button control panel in front. Around the same time I turned this burner on, and when I turned it off, the light in center front letting me know that the surface is hot remained on, and has not gone off until the power was pulled.)
Any insight for trouble shooting is appreciated.
Thanks,
Charlie
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.

So on this model if the display board isn't illuminating and working like normal so you can use the oven, the only 2 possibilities would be that your oven isn't getting 220 volts to it or the display board has shorted out. The display board is like the mother board on this particular oven. There are no fuses or cut outs that would stop this board from operating. You'll want to pull the oven out and follow the power cord to the terminal block on the back of the oven. Test power between the 2 outside power wires on the power cord right at the terminal block. If you have 220 volts between these 2 wires, then your display board has shorted and will need to be replaced. Below is a link to the display board for your model number.

CLICK HERE for display board

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 8 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am APPLIANCE-HVAC GURU a very experienced tech on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now.

Please allow time for me to respond, sometimes I get the questions or responses late so please be patient as I have no control over the site issues. NOTE, I have nothing to do with your payment to the site and did not receive that money.

I am a different tech and have worked one hundreds of these units first hand. I have seen the main wire harness on that unit burn a wire causing that issue for the top burners. You need to unplug the unit remove the knobs then there are a set of plastic nuts under each knob that secure the top trim to the frame. Once they are off it will lift up exposing the under side of the console. You will see a large wire harness that goes back towards the burner area. often a wire there pinches and touches the frame causing that issue. I just fixed one the other day for the same issue. I would start there on that model and let me know. APPLIANCE GURU!

The only way I receive any credit at all for my time is by you selecting a STAR USING THE 5 STAR or VOTING RATING SYSTEM AT THE TOP OF YOUR PAGE before you leave for me so please make sure you are rating me not another tech. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks GURU