John, restaurant equipment technician
Experience:  25+ years experience. I'm now employed by a commercial cooking equipment service company
22250861

I have a Model J HP61G 0J1AD range/microwave combination. It

Customer Question

I have a Model J HP61G 0J1AD range/microwave combination. It is circa 1987 but until recently everything still worked. Nice work!
Anyway, the paperwork I have seems to indicate that microwave is a JVM131. The illustrations in the "USE and CARE" manual look exactly like what I have. Is this unit separate from the range/oven unit and just sitting on a shelf? If so I can replace the microwave and leave the rest alone. Could you do a little research to find out if the microwave is permanently attached and if not how do I detach it. Also, what current microwave do you recommend?
Thanks,
Ray Nordstrom
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

I'll search for the necessary information, and I'll get back to you. Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok, Look forward to it.
Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

From what I see, the microwave fits into its opening above the oven. It can be removed by removing the plastic frame piece that fits around it, and removing the screws that hold the microwave in place atop the oven. Be sure, if you try this, to unplug the power cord, so it can follow the m/w oven, as you pull it out. In the mean time I'll search for any parts still available for the m/w oven.

Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

All my parts sources listed only conventional oven parts, when I enter the model number you posted. Is it possible that the microwave oven has a separate model number? If it does, you should find it on an i.d. label on the door or it's frame.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok thanks. My first choice would be to replace the non working part (or rather have someone qualified do it). My second would be to get a new one that would fit in the space and look decent.
John,
I think the range and micro came as a unit. the long number is ***** only one I can find but the JVM131 number comes from the only manual I can find. One problem I will have is that the controls for the stove are just under the controls for the microwave. they look like they're one panel but I think they are two.
The plastic panel above the microwave door has three screws holding it on but they are screwed in vertically (with star head screws) top down. Going to have to buy a shorty star head screwdriver for that job.
Looks more and more like fixing the existing microwave will be the only option given the controls situation. I can send you a picture if it would help.
Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

The JVM 131 will get you to the parts still available if you go to www.appliancepartspros.com.

Please let me know if you need more help. Thank you for choosing JustAnswer.

Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

.

Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

.