Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

My leg tromm has dryer is turning on, but not spinning & I

Customer Question

My leg tromm has dryer is turning on, but not spinning & I cannot spin it by hand, either
JA: Sometimes appliance issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Appliance Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: The timer counts down, but the only sounds are the button chimes & a clock when I first hit start.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Appliance Technician should know?
Customer: Click, not clock
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! To confirm, you cannot spin the tub by hand in either direction, is that correct? Do you have a meter to perform any testing with?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No meter. It turns clockwise by hand, not counterclockwise by hand
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Display lights up
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Feels kinda sticky when turning by hand - not normal.
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.

Okay, so that is normal. I suspect you have an open thermal fuse. The thermal fuse is in line with the motor. If it opens, usually due to poor air flow, the motor will not start. Are you comfortable with disassembly?

May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Depends on the level of disassembly . . . Maybe. DLE5977W
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.

It will require full disassembly to access the thermal fuse, including the top and front panels, electronic control area and removal of the drum and belt. I do have the manual available if you think you would like to attempt it.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I think that's too much for me.
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.

It is quite involved, you may need to have an on site visit. The fuse will run about $15 and the service call and labor about $150, just so you know.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?