John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

My 48"" Jenn_Air cooktop Model JGD8348CDP was having trouble

Customer Question

My 48"" Jenn_Air cooktop Model JGD8348CDP was having trouble with an ignitor, I cleaned all the parts, still no spark. I changed with other unit, still no spark in that rear unit. I ordered a new ignitor, replaced it, plugged it in to test before I replaced the cover. Worked great. Took it back out replaced the cover, now neither work, when the cover is removed they both work, there doesn't seem to be a pinched wire, so I tested it with the other module. It now seems to have the same problem. There is continuity in all the wiring in the two burner modules.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 8 months ago.

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 35 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.

The igniter can ONLY spark when the is a good path to chassis ground if the components are not truly /properly grounded then it can not create a path to ground and thus no spark .

check the burner bodies to chassis ground to see if you have a good ground or not.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
what actually grounds the chassis, when the cover is off it works, when it is reinstalled, it doesn't.

ok what cover are you talking about? the cover to what?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I assume the nut on the left side of the burner unit is supposed to come in contact with the frame/cover. The cover on the bottom of the burner module that hides the wites and gas supply

ok the burner pan that both burner heads stick up through?

In this parts break down item # ***** ?

http://www.partadvantage.com/diagram/2/0/00030966/680/900

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

that needs to be grounded along with #14 ,#17 and the burner tubes #19 ,#12 they all have to have a good ground to #21 where the line cord attaches to the outlet to create a path for ground all the way back to the house breaker box

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
hope other people had better luck with your service. Had to get a service call.

And what did they find was the issue?