Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

Have a GE profile series refig Model PFSS6PKXGSS. It stopped

Customer Question

have a GE profile series refig Model PFSS6PKXGSS. It stopped making ice. I purchased a new ice maker & replaced still no ice. I replaced filter still no ice. When I push the actuator you hear motor turning.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  ApplianceMAN replied 8 months ago.
Did you check water coming to ice maker?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
water dispenser has water. Tube is clear. I pulled from solenoid & was able to blow thru it
solenoid is opening ?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I don't know

Sounds like its not opening if your not getting water up to the ice maker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXIX73EI1Z4#t=31

This shows the water valve and how to test for continuity. I have seen these fail a few times over the years

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Coil has ohm reading of 375
Alright have you tested voltage at solenoid to see if your getting power to it?Also you see if you can see water coming out or moving at all.
You have steady water going to solonoid also correct ?Sometimes there is a small filter going from water inlet to solonoid that clogs.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Alright have you tested voltage at solenoid to see if your getting power to it?I have not..is there always voltage to it?Sometimes there is a small filter going from water inlet to solonoid that clogs.
I do not see any filters unless it is part of solenoidYou have steady water going to solonoid also correct ?I have to assume yes being water dispenser works fine.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
We can try that hold tight

Before you accept that phone call. Do you have a place in front of fridge to get water?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Hows the pressure on that can you get good steady flow of water through that?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Y

alright (the tube that goes into the ice maker actually in the freezer section) Are you sure this is clear?

Im really leaning towards this being the issue or the water inlet valve

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I AM ASSUMING THE TUBE THAT LEAVES SOLENOID RUNS UP BACK OF REFRIGERATOR & GOES INTO BACK OF ICEMAKER IS ALL 1 PIECE...WHEN I DISCONNECT FROM SOLENOID I WAS ABLE TO BLOW THRU IT

350 OHMS should be fine for water valve.....

Man im striking out with really getting into details. Im searching for something you can watch to understand so its easier..... hang tight.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I CAN HANDLE DETAILS...I AM AN ELECTRICIAN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCUgA5T5ASw

This is a another great video I have bookmarked. Fast forward to around the 5minute mark, You can run some ohm tests here and let me know what you get :-)

Check on the timer of the icemaker ( is this new as well)

L terminal and M terminal tell me the resistance

do you see that anywhere on this model. I wanna check the motor of the timer

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I DO NOT HAVE IN FRONT OF ME AT THE MOMENT.. I WILL CJECK WHEN I GO BACK IN THE HOUSE

ok no worries. Im sorry this is taking some time/ Im doing my best without being in front of it

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I APPRECIATE YOUR PERSISTANCE..... CAN I DISCONNECT SOLENOID CONNECTIONS & APPLY 120 VOLTS DIRECTLY TO SEE IF ACTIVATES??

Eh, I mean i guess for quick hit it shouldnt hurt as long as its rated for 120v and you also make sure its separted from everything else.

Hey man ill be on later tonight taking wife out to a show. Ill touch base tonight

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It's 120 volt coil So if I apply voltage for couple of seconds & it fills ice maker .....

Should be ok but without being in front I can't confirm thats a ok thing to do, Sorry man we had theater tickets with the wife

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I applied 120 V to the solenoid and it filled the icemaker. This icemaker doesn't have a traditional timer as seen in the video. It has a very small control board which I'm assuming handles all the controls.
Man i would lean towards that then. We tested d everything else.Does it have a timer at all ?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
NOT THAT i SEE...SO WHAT TELLS THIS WHEN TO FILL??
Well its got a timer either in board or actually mechanical timer.Once the board sends signal to solonoid it has s pre determined amount of time to allow water into ice maker after its frozen again set by a timer or board it releases the ice by heating the under side.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
what next?
Im out of ideas man I tried everything I knew of..... ill opt out, I really tried we dont receive anything for this unless we get a positive review.So just heads up. Alright well sorry man

Give me a couple minuets and ill switch from my phone to computer so i can opt out

I just checked the parts list I see nothing on here about a control board? when you replaced the ice maker was there any power connection you had to hook up

I only see water inlet valve, Hose and actual ice maker as parts listed for sale, you sure you got the correct one and everything

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
THE CONTROL BOARD IS INTEGRATED WITH ICE MAKER & IS NEXT TO MOTOR THAT DUMPS ICE.
JUST A MULTI PIN CONNECTOR FOR CONNECTING ICE MAKER TO REFRIG
WATER INLET VALVE IS AT BOTTOM BACK OF REFRIGERATOR

well man im gonna opt out then..... Im leaning towards that being the problem but....

ill keep an eye on this conversation.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
THANKS

No one picked it up yet?

Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 8 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am APPLIANCE GURU a very experienced tech on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now.

Please allow time for me to respond, sometimes I get the questions or responses late so please be patient as I have no control over the site issues. NOTE, I have nothing to do with your payment to the site and did not receive that money.

I am a different tech, on that unit if the icemaker rotates when pushing the test button and you can see it rotate and it does not ever fill with water you either have a bad fill valve solenoid for the icemaker, a bad main board that controls the icemaker or the fill line to the icemaker is frozen. If you can pour a glass of water in the modl and see if it makes the ice and dumps. If it does then you may want to defrost the unit to rule out a frozen fill line in the inner wall. If you do that and it still does not fill or make ice, you need to test the fill solenoid on the unit with an ohm meter and replace it if it reads open and if it reads good replace the main board. Often the cheap relays they use on the board go bad causing that issue.

CLICK HERE

The only way I receive any credit at all for my time is by you selecting a STAR USING THE 5 STAR or VOTING RATING SYSTEM AT THE TOP OF YOUR PAGE before you leave for me so please make sure you are rating me not another tech. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks GURU

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
icemaker rotates when pushing the test button and you can see it rotate and it does not ever fill with water you either have a bad fill valve solenoid for the icemaker
WHEN PUSHING TEST BUTTON SHOULD THIS HAPPEN IMMEDIATLY?fill line to the icemaker is frozen.
I DISCONNECTED HOSE FROM FILL VALVE AND BLEW AIR THRU, NOT FROZEN
, you need to test the fill solenoid on the unit with an ohm meter and replace it if it reads open and if it reads good
IT READ GOOD 375 OHMS
replace the main board. Often the cheap relays they use on the board go bad causing that issue.
WHERE IS THE BOARD LOCATED?

The main board is located behind the unit. There is a square cover panel that hides it, remove that and it is the larger of the two boards.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
When you say unit do you mean the icemaker itself or behind the refrigerator

Behind the refrigerator itself on the back wall standing behind the unit.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ok...i have oredered oard & will let u know how it turns out. Thanks

Ok great

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
installed new board, tray filled with water but did not dispense ice.
Removed icemaker to confirm there was ice & there was ice.
Reinstalled & this time did not fill with water.....thoughts?

So now it makes ice but no water?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
First time it made ice but did not dump the ice out. So I removed ice maker to thaw out & try again. This it did not even fill with water.

Have you replaced the icemaker?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Are u able to read the entire thread. I answered yes previous
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Even if the icemaker was bad would it not still fill up with water?

What are the freezer actual temps?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
6 degrees ice compartment

OK that could be the issue it should be 0 at least 6 degrees it may not trip to harvest can you see if it will pull closer to 0 and see what happens.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
DROPPED TEMP, STILL NO ICE