Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Frigidaire microwave model FGMV174KFB built and

Customer Question

I have a Frigidaire microwave model FGMV174KFB built and installed in 2012. I stopped heating. Everything else appears to be working, the electronics on the right side panel works, the turntable turns but when you turn it on to cook, it makes a noise louder than normal but no heat. Any thoughts?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.

That louder humming noise means that your magnetron isn't working properly. This is the part that actually creates the microwave to heat your food which explains why the food isn't heating up anymore. The part itself costs about $122 so depending on the condition of the microwave, it may be better to just replace the microwave rather than repair it. Also, it will require you to un-install the entire microwave and remove the outer shell in order to access the magnetron for replacement so if you called a technician out it would be another $150 for trip and labor. Below is a link to the magnetron you'd need to order and replace for your model number.

CLICK HERE for magnetron

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?