Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a WRT771RWYB01 refrigerator with a top freezer. The

Customer Question

I have a WRT771RWYB01 refrigerator with a top freezer. The freezer stopped defrosting correctly and I got a frost buildup on the back of the freezer that covered the freezer vents. I have an extended warranty on the unit. The serviceman came out last week, looked at the unit and ordered the parts (3 of them) that control the defrosting. It took over a week for the parts to get here and he just installed the new parts today. He turned the unit on at 9:00 AM. The freezer is still empty and when I checked it at 4:00 there is a light layer of frost on the rear of the freezer compartment again. Is it acceptable to have a light frost buildup in a frost free unit or should we be completely frost free?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.

The light layer of frost is 100% normal. The coils need to be lightly frosted with about 1/16" of frost from top to bottom to cool the refrigerator properly. If the coils get completely froze over where air can't flow through the frost, then that is a problem.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you so much. I even called Whirlpool customer service and couldn't get anyone to tell me that a light layer of frost would be fine. I'll watch it for the 24 hours to make sure the build up is light and the vents don't get frozen up.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.

Not a problem, unfortunately customer service won't know technical answers like that. Give it longer than 24 hours even. The defrost cycles occurs anywhere between 8 hours and 72 hours so if after 3 days the frost is getting to be too much, call for service.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?