John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have a microwave oven wall combo unit electrical.and today

Customer Question

Hi Sir : I have a microwave oven wall combo unit electrical.and today the microwave stop heating and when I open the microwave door the lights flashes and I could hear a rely clicking.
my model numbers are UMC5200BAB microwave.
Oven model MMW5530 DAB
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 10 months ago.

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 35 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.

Ok do you have a volt -ohm meter and know how to use it ?

To be able to do any testing?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

ok lets test the outlet that the unit is plugged into .

hoping it is a duplex outlet you can test the open outlet and try to run the unit while still testing the voltage and the open the door and test the outlet.

I want you to test three times when the unit is just setting ,when your trying to run the unit and after you try to run it and open the door .

I want to see if your dropping the voltage to the unit at any time.

Do you still need assistance on your question?

Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 10 months ago.

I am a different tech if you want help.

I have NOT opted out of this question !

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I measured the voltage and it reads the same 243 volt with the door open or close.

It appears that you have asked customer service for another expert to assist you!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I asked them for an answer to my question .I did not know who they are referring to answer
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
what do you think the problem since the voltage has no drop

Well I`m not sure where your testing the microwave for voltage at but the microwave is only a 120 volt unit!

It is not a 240 volt appliance

To me it sounds more like you tested the oven and not the microwave oven !

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Their is only 240 volt going to the back of the unit. 2 hot and measure 243 volt
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
you can look up the model numbers that I provided

The microwave is a separate appliance that just sets in the oven cabinet and the microwave has its own 120 volt plug !

And Yes I have looked at the model number and the two parts break downs also!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Their is only those wires coming out of the back of the unit and the y measure 240 volt.May be their a transformer inside the unit to reduce it to 120v

Can you get at the inside of the microwave to check the magnetron tube for continuity?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have to take the unit out of the cabinet.Its a combo unit Oven and Microwave.is their a diagram so I could see what do you want me to test and do.Because the problem is that the microwave or the oven ,whenever you open the door the lights start flashing and clicking noise coming out of the unit.
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

The microwave is a totally separate appliance from the oven. They basically just take a counter top microwave, build a cabinet above the oven and set it in there. So, to service the microwave, it will need to be removed from the oven. It will simply unplug from a standard electrical socket that is mounted in that cabinet and can be set on a counter. The flashing lights and clicking relay when the door is open leads me to believe there is an issue either with the electronic control or a door switch. What does the microwave do when you shut the door and attempt to program a cook time? Does it program and start but count down with no sound or what exactly happens, please?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
once we shut the door and start heating anything,the counter starts counting and the light inside the microwave stays on and no clicking noise but when the cycle is done.no heat nothing but i could see the fan blowing on the plastic cover inside microwve but no heat
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the control works fine and it starts and stopps and counts good
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

Does it sound the same as it always has or does it seem to be a little quieter? Since the fan is running, that is a bit strange with the other issues you are having with it (the relay chattering and lights flashing). Are you able to remove the microwave from the cabinet and are you comfortable working with live voltages? This is a bit more complicated than most because Maytag (Whirlpool) sourced this microwave from Samsung, so it is a bit of an odd situation and I am sorry for the confusion with this.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If you guys cant help ,can i have my money back and i could call a local technitian for what I paid you
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

Oh, I am very confident I can help you! I was just trying to explain why it got a bit messy earlier. Are you able to remove the microwave from the cabinet and are you comfortable working with live voltages?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
its only one unit combination ,you have to remove the oven and the microwave together.Are we dealing with the same model that I have because you keep referring to my unit as awhirpool but its a Maytag.
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

The trim kit comes away from the front. Once the trim kit is removed, you will be able to remove the screws at the bottom of the microwave that secure the microwave to the slide rails. Whirlpool makes Maytag products. Your unit is pictured below.

CLICK HERE

Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?