Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My GE over the range microwave suddenly stopped working last

Customer Question

I'm Mary. My GE over the range microwave suddenly stopped working last night. No lights inside or on the control panel. I checked the power outlet and it's fine. Is there a reset or something I else I can check.
JA: Sometimes appliance issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Appliance Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Appliance Technician should be aware of?
Customer: Model JVM17500M1WW
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

So unfortunately there is no reset on the microwave. There are 3 fuses however that cut power to the entire microwave. Below is a link to a diagram for the parts breakdown so you can see what parts I'm talking about. You will need to un-install the microwave and remove the outer shell to access all the fuses I'm afraid.

Part 114 is a noise filter board which has an inline fuse clipped into it so if the fuse is bad, you can pick up a new one and replace it. Part 61 is a cavity thermal fuse which is the size of a dime and mounted to the top above the microwave cavity and that fuse blows if something caught on fire inside the microwave or the microwave was run too long, or possibly if the microwave was run without any food inside. The last fuse is part 74. That is your magnetron thermal fuse. If this part is open and has no continuity through it, then you need to replace this fuse as well as the magnetron which is part 73.

CLICK HERE for diagram

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?