Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a GE Bottom Freezer Refrigerator. Just replaced the

Customer Question

I have a GE Bottom Freezer Refrigerator. Just replaced the water filter cartridge when green light turned orange. I followed steps exactly as instructed. When I pushed and held the reset key it would not reset. Then I followed instructions from manual and ran over a gallon of water through water area. Pushed reset key again and it would not reset. Next I turned off the power at my panel box for a few minutes hoping that would work and it did not. What else can I do? I do not want to do any damage. The model number is ***** and Serial # ***** *****
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.

So the refrigerator has no way of actually detecting if the filter has been replaced or not. You should just need to press and hold the reset button for 5 seconds to reset the filter light. If it's not resetting, then your control board isn't working properly. If the unit is less than a year old, call warranty and they will come out and replace the board at no charge. If it's over a year old then you can either replace the board yourself, call someone out to replace the control board, or just keep track of when you replaced the filter and replace it every 6 months since that is what the board does. It just tells you when 6 months is up.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?