Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a front load LG Clothes Washer, the other night the

Customer Question

I have a front load LG Clothes Washer, the other night the washer completed its last cycle and spin, it was knocking during the spin but appeared to be working fine, and was trying to re-balance the load. It finished and when I entered the laundry room there was a level of smoke in the room. The load had been spun and I put it in the dryer, the seal appeared to be melted and chewed up and sine if the melted part of the seal was son the edge of the tub. My concern, I took the top and the back off the machine, the shocks appear to be working fine, the hanging springs appear to be fine too and neither appear to be broken. The tub when you manually spin it appears to be warped... i.e. no longer round, can this be a possibility and if so, should I try to fix it or just junk it and get a new one?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Sean F. replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for using Just Answers. My name is***** come from a family background of appliance service and have over 20 yrs in the field. If you have been waiting, sorry, don't get discouraged. I am one of the techs on Just Answers and might have someone ahead of you. I WILL work as fast I can to analyze your problem and get to you. Please understand that I am not at your home looking at the appliance myself. You are my eyes & ears! I will work with you to figure out what is wrong with your appliance. I will give you my honest professional opinion of the problem. But be advised there are some issues that require special tools to analyze or repair the problem. Thank you for excepting me for you appliance issue. I'll be right with you and please don't forget to rate my service at completion.

What I like you to do is to open the and grab the inner tub and lift it up and down and will probably will find that it is loose.

Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It appears to be moving as all one piece, the inner and outer tub, and does not appear to be loose.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I reached into the machine itself and tried to move the tub.
Expert:  Sean F. replied 9 months ago.

Sorry just noticed you were working with Tyler Z back on 2-29. You can go back to him and pick back up with Tyler even if you already rated his service. And you won't be charge again.

Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 9 months ago.

I am a different tech do you still need help?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sean, I want to continue with you, please send me your thoughts on this....

Sean has opted out and has left...did you want me to post this to him

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I still need an answer...
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
if I wanted to spend this kind of money I'd of hired a guy to come into my home... please either send to Sean or get me an answer either way, thank you.
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! The tub support has likely broken on the back of the wash tub. Was it noisy at all prior to this issue? The tub support is shown as number K115 in the diagram at the link below. It is one piece that the entire wash tub is mounted on. If this machine is more than 8 years old, I would probably lean towards replacing it (the machine).

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The machine was making a knocking noise, but it appeared to be the loan out of balance and not the tub loose as this situation corrected itself during the spin cycle prior to the end of the cycle. It also now appears that the inner tub K110 rotates in the outer tub K104/105, but the inner tub is now rotating at an angle. Could it be the baring? The machine is currently 10 yeas old and has given us great service, your thoughts?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
That's load, not loan
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

The tub support is likely what is causing the leaning, which will damage the bearing (if it has not already). The tub support is like a tripod, the tub is mounted on it and they crack and allow the tub to sag. Is it scraping the outer tub when it rotates?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it's scraping the outer tub when it roatates
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

Yeah, the tub support is broken. At 10 years old, I would not recommend putting that in, it will also need the bearing and probably an outer tub. It is a 4 hour job and to have it professionally done, they will charge you several hundred dollars. However, if you decide to tackle it yourself, I can send you the service manual, if you'd like!

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for the information, that's what I was afraid of. You've been great and very helpful!
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

Thank you very much.

Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?