Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore
19941226

GE side by side model GSS25JFMDWW compressor fan works -

Customer Question

GE side by side model GSS25JFMDWW
compressor fan works - defrost fan works compressor is running
coils in freezer are freezing up - freezer will not cool below 41.
i defrosted yesterday - same problem today
so?
Thank you
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 10 months ago.

Hello, this is Dave and I'm happy to help you. Most time it is a bad heating element to causes the coils to frost up but there are three parts to the defrost system. Do you have a meter to read resistance?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I don't think it works - like kost things in America...
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello

You mean the heater works?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My ohm meter dint work
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sorry - I'm in a very bad mood trying to fix this and I have to go to work...

Ah, I understand. Well just to be sure I understand before you defrosted the coils they were blocked with thich heavy white frost?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Correct - I took out the heater - it is separated on one end with a bad seal

Okay, that helps. You won't need a meter. The heater number is ***** Here is a link to a video but it doesn't sound like you need it. Heater replacement video. Now that it is running are you seeing a thin film of frost on the aluminum coils from top to bottom?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Please cancel and refund...

I can put in that request but can you explain why you want to cancel?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sorry - I'm very frustrated...The heater does look burned - the seals are either end are degraded.Sorry my meter does not work...Any help you can provide be greatly appreciated...The coils are frozen ffrom bottom to top...Thank you
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Both fans work - the compressor is humming...I'm going to replace the heater so the ends will be sealed - I agree - provably not going to fix the problem...
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thermistor?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Had to leave to go to work...

If the coil was getting blocked with frost then replacing the heater will take care of the problem.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Will the coil freezing up prevent the freezer from freezing?I guess I just don't understand refrigeration like I wish I did...How do I know it's not a tell sensor or defrost timer...I know this is difficult to diagnose without looking at it...

Yes because it blocks the airflow. There is a defrost limiter that can cause the same problem but it can only be checked with a meter it is #240 on the parts list. I can send a link if you need it.

Do you have an update? Have you replaced the heater?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it works fine now...No frost - still not cooling - replaced the board - it had a scorch mark on it - still not cooling - replaced the capacitor as it was cheap - though it still does not cool...The compressor is running - I may cut off the pigtail braze a fitting a recharge it ....This is ridiculous - POS, like most things sold in this country.

Earlier you said the freezer coils were getting some frost on all the coils. If that is still true you don't want to tap into the system. Is there light frost on the coils or are they choked shut with heavy frost?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No frost now - of course the heater element is not coming on as the compressor is not cooling...I'll be very careful around the compressor...I'm not buying a new refrigerator - this one is only ten years old...The problem is they seal the systems trying to force a person to buy a new one...They, GE, can go f#%^ themselves...I'm fixing this one...If the freon escapes into the environment - they should have thought about that before they build they damn things...Cheap, greedy, f**king Americans...

Okay, yes you are right if there is no frost there is a sealed system problem. Leak, restriction or compressor not pumping. Most times it is the leak.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It must be very slow - there are no "wet or greasy spots" on the compressor..What will happen when I cut that pigtail?If I can find a fitting I'm going to braze it to that - though it is very small...Otherwise I'll still into the compressor - I know that the is a valve in the compressor...This should not he thus big of a job.A new compressor is nearly 800 bucks

If there is any pressure in the system it will come out when you pierce or unbraze the tubing. If you are just going to add you can put on a temporary clamp on valve. Look up "Bullet valve". If you put it on the low pressure side and add vapor slowly until you have a full frost pattern you can look for leaks. If none is found let it run and see how long it stays cool.