Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have maytag washer model mvwx700xl2 with (4) fault codes:

Customer Question

I have maytag washer model mvwx700xl2 with (4) fault codes: f2/e1, f9,e1,f7/e7 and f7/e5. I have changed the actuator unit per f7/e5 but I am experiencing the same failure mode as before i.e., the washer agitates up until the rinse cycle and stops with no further action.
I can get the washer to fill and agitates and depending upon the cycle selection it will agitate from 45/60 minutes down to about 25 minutes whereby it should go into the rinse cycle but then stops.
At the point that machine stops the wash LED remains lit (rinse does not light up) and I have to manually drain the unit i.e., lower the drain hose and gravity feed into a bucket. Once drained I can get it to enter the spin cycle to drain off the water from the clothes.
So bot***** *****ne the two functions that appear to not be not working are rinse and spin. sensing, soak and wash are working fine. what say you??
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.

The first thing you'll want to do is clear the errors. To do that go into diagnostics and pull up the error codes again. Turn the knob clockwise until all the lights are illuminated, then press and hold the start button for 5 seconds to resect the control board and reset the errors. Then start the washer up again and see if you get a new error code. If so, pull up the error codes and see what the new error is. If you still have an F7 E(whatever) error, then re-calibrate the RPS sensor. To do that, go into diagnostics only turn the knob clockwise until only the RINSE light is illuminated. Press start and it should re-calibrate the control board for your new sensor.

Go back and try the washer again and if you continue to have the issues after that, your gearbox would need to be replaced I'm sorry to say.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks for the response. I failed to mention that I did reset the error codes however after replacing the actuator and finding that it did not solve my problem I have not pulled the codes again. I will try this later today. Also, is it absolutely necessary to recalibrate the rps sensor after replacing the actuator? If so, maybe this is my problem as I did not do this. With regards ***** ***** gearbox, I take it from your condolences that this is an expensive component? if so, can you provide me with an estimated cost as well as any type of testing I might be able to perform to insure this is the problem. I have already had one technician state that he thought my problem was on the control board. Would you agree? thanks again
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Also, Is it common to have so many error (4) codes at once for this machine??
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.

Yes, it is necessary to recalibrate the RPS sensor when replacing it---that should have come on the instructions with the part.

The gear box is very expensive unfortunately. You can't test the part, but it's the only other thing that would cause an actuator fault if the actuator isn't the problem. No I don't believe your control board is an issue if it's giving the errors that you indicated. As for the 4 faults, these washer experiences faults all the time and unless it continues it's not anything to worry about (like in this case where you should be worried since the problem isn't resolving itself). The first error just means you pressed and held a button 2 long. The second error means that the washer isn't draining properly (the one starting with F9). The last 2 errors are actuator issues (starting with F7).

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
just so I am clear the rps sensor and the shift actuator is the same part? im installing pn wpw10006355.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.

That is correct, yes. It's all built into the same part.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.

I see you requested a phone call so I'll send you that option.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
One other observation. When the machine finishes the agitate or wash mode if I depress the power button the electronics become disengaged ( the LED display window along with the 6 operations LED's extinguish). The only thing that stays lit is the red LED that indicates door lock. In order to reset the electronics, I have to unplug the machine for a few minutes and only then does the machine allow me to enter into the diagnostic mode. Does this provide any additional insight as to the gearbox vs. the actuator?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I will check your suggestions when get home from work today in about 2 hours. will you still be available?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.

That unfortunately doesn't help. I do not know if I will be available or not, I do run service calls as well throughout the day.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello. I just followed your direction of resetting the codes and attempting to restart the machine. After clearing I am getting f0 e0 at each click of the switch until I get to the CL indication about 4 clicks.I went through the manual test mode for just the spin cycle and all the machine did was fill with water ie no spin. Any other suggestions at this point? or as you stated earlier the gear box is shot.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.

F0 E0 means there is no fault. Either you control board is bad or you're not letting it run long enough on a normal cycle to store an error code.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?