Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson,
Experience:  Owner at Scott's Appliance Repair
89799402

The interior light stays on on my lg refrigerator Model #

Customer Question

The interior light stays on on my lg refrigerator Model # ***** sw--Serial #604krk500733, what is the problem
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 11 months ago.

the problem is gonna be a bad door switch is that issue with the refrigerator compartment or the freezer? I will get you the replacement part once you let me know, thanks.

if it's the refrigerator section, you will need to figure out which switch is bad by putting the bulbs in and pushing the switches manually and see which one is not turning off the bulbs, the switches are located at the top of the door as shown in the diagram - click here for image

once you figure out which switch is at fault replace it with the switch below:

Refrigerator Door Switch

Part #: 6600JB3007A

If its not the refrigerator section having issues let me know. Thanks.

In the meantime:

We are on the honor system for our time so I Kindly ask you to rate my service BEFORE YOU LEAVE TODAY by clicking 3 or better on the STAR RATING SYSTEM at the top of your page.

This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions.

TIPS are not expected but are GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Thank you!

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I’m a different technician. Unfortunately this is not going to be a bad door switch. These LG units are well known for the light relay on the main control board sticking and causing the light to stay on. You’ll want to unplug the refrigerator, unscrew the lights, and then plug the refrigerator back in so that the lights don’t get hot enough to melt the inner liner. On the back of your refrigerator is a control board that you need to order and replace. The control board is located on the back of the refrigerator behind an access panel. It’s all plug and play so if you’re handy you can definitely replace the part in less than 15 minutes. I’m sorry about the bad news and I’m sorry it’s much more expensive than a door switch but I’m very familiar with these refrigerators and some of them even have recalls on them for this issue so you may want to contact LG to see if your unit falls into one of the recalls for the board. Either way, below is a link to the control board for your model number you need to order. It’s part number EBR34917104 and costs about $115.

CLICK HERE for control board

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

sir I do apologize for the other techs interruption but if you will check the door switch it is much more common of an issue than the board if you rule out it's the switch then let me know, thanks.