Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

My kitchen aid refrigerator does not make ice What should I

Customer Question

My kitchen aid refrigerator does not make ice What should I do.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.

Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If you open the door first, look at the red light to the right, is it flashing 2 times and then pausing over and over? If you shut the flap on the left side and make a clear path from right to left, does the light turn solid?

OK, now look inside the icemaker itself, is there any ice or water in the icemaker mold? There are white fingers that push the ice out of the icemaker mold, what direction are they facing? Are they above the horizon or below? Pointing forward or backwards?

Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 9 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please allow time for me to respond, sometimes I get the questions or responses late so please be patient as I have no control over the site issues.

This is a common issue and the ANSWER can only be one of three things:

1. Check the fill tube to the icemaker and squeeze it(black tube on the left of the icemaker coming from the ceiling it may be frozen). That will cause no water to enter the icemaker and is very common.

2. See if the icemaker has water in it and see if it is frozen, if themold is empty and the fill tube is not frozen...then see if the white fingers are stuck up or down in the icemaker. If they are pointing straight up or down replace the icemaker.

3. The least common issue is the photo eye circuit on the unit. Just look if any light is flashing when holding the left paddle in on the left frame not blocking the sensor beam when opening the door it should go solid. If so either you have to replace the icemaker or have a frozen fill tube. If the light is flashing any pattern when holding the paddle down you need to replace the OPTIC board assembly.

I would like you to know that I am APPLIANCE GURU a tech that works for the site, the payment you made to the site is not fully credited, further the only way I actually receive any payment for my time by the site is by you selecting a STAR using the 5 STAR RATING SYSTEM on your page for APPLIANCE GURU before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thank you for using this site!