Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My frigifaire dryer is damp although it has been off for

Customer Question

My frigifaire dryer is damp although it has been off for > 4 days? why
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

The only reason the dryer would be damp would be due to the vent connected to your house. Either the vent ties in with another vent and it shouldn't (the dryer should have it's own dedicated vent), or the damper on the outside of your house isn't closing off and it's allowing moist air to blow in through the vent on the outside of the house back to the dryer.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I live in an apartment. I have not moved the dryer. It sounds like there is air blowing into the machine although it is off
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

yes, it sounds like your apartment complex is sharing vent lines and they shouldn't. That means when someone else is using the vent line, air is blowing back into your dryer which is why it's getting moist inside.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Tyler. I checked n cleaned then vents. Giving the dryer a whirl now
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

OK, but the problem isn't really with your vent, it's with the way the apartment has the vents set up. it's tied in with a neighbors vent or something like that. The issue will continue to happen if they don't reroute the vent properly and give the dryer a dedicated vent. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.