Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

My GE profile electric cooktop suddenly stopped working

Customer Question

My GE profile electric cooktop suddenly stopped working while I was cooking. It started flashing F156 by hours and minutes and F for on and off. I never got a manual and it's a 36" drop in cooktop.
I need help
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Sean F. replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for using Just Answers. My name is***** come from a family background of appliance service and have over 20 yrs in the field. If you have been waiting, sorry, don't get discouraged. I am one of the techs on Just Answers and might have someone ahead of you. I WILL work as fast I can to analyze your problem and get to you. Please understand that I am not at your home looking at the appliance myself. You are my eyes & ears! I will work with you to figure out what is wrong with your appliance. I will give you my honest professional opinion of the problem. But be advised there are some issues that require special tools to analyze or repair the problem. Thank you for excepting me for you appliance issue. I'll be right with you and please don't forget to rate my service at completion..

You will find the model number under the cooktop. If you could please get that so I further help you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I already looked and can't locate it. However, I turned the cook top off and let it reset itself and it's working fine now.
Thanks
Expert:  Sean F. replied 9 months ago.

Good to hear.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Am I still going to be charged 45.00 for what I figured out myself
Expert:  Sean F. replied 9 months ago.

No I don't believe so. But you will have to get with customer service to be 100% sure.

Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! That error is shown on the attached page. It is shown as 1X6, the 5 is the burner position, in this case, the right front. So there was an issue with the RF burner heating for some reason. It is likely to return, so if you would like the service manual for your appliance, I am able to get that for you with a model number. The tag is on the bottom of the unit.