Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I need help with where to replace the refrigerator defrost

Customer Question

I need help with where to replace the refrigerator defrost heater on my Kenmore side by side bottom freezer refrigerator (model #795.78409.801)
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.

The defrost heater is actually located inside the freezer section. It's part 418 on the diagram in the link below.

CLICK HERE for diagram

You'll need to pull everything out of the freezer including the icemaker (if your model has a freezer icemaker). Remove the back panel inside the freezer and then you can see the silver evaporator coils and the fan above it as well as the defrost heater below the evaporator coils that you are replacing. Below is a video that shows how to remove the back panel for your style refrigerator. The video is showing you how to replace the fan and of course you don't need to do that, but the process of removing the back panel is the same. Again, ignore icemaker removal portion if your model doesn't have an icemaker in your freezer. Your model is actually made by LG for Sears and sold under the Kenmore name.

CLICK HERE for video

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?