bonzaco
bonzaco,
Experience:  Owner at Dales Electronic
26760916

I have a GE refrigerator model #GDS18LBR/GDS18SBR. A while

Customer Question

I have a GE refrigerator model #GDS18LBR/GDS18SBR. A while back the refrigerator section stopped cooling while the freezer section continues to work fine. I've had the produce drawers removed because with them in the produce would freeze and the fan located at the back of the unit on top of the freezer (the freezer is on the bottom of the unit) would freezing up due to the drain tube becoming frozen or clogged. I've unclogged the drain tube and the fan runs fine until I replace even one produce drawer and then the fan freezes up again.
It appears to me that there should be cold air coming out of the vent at the top of the refrigerator and there is not. Could it me a bad temperature control? I have a do-it-yourself book that explains how to test and replace the temperature control. I am interested in your thoughts.
Thanks,
Brian
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 9 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now.

You likely have an iced up or blocked have you tired to totally defrost the unit then see if it works fine again? Often a return vent will get blocked causing that issue. I would totally defrost the unit for 6hours and then try it leave the doors open and get it all melted.

I would like you to know that I am a tech that works for the site, the payment you made to the site is not fully credited to me, further the only way I actually receive any payment for my time by the site is by you selecting a STAR using the STAR RATING SYSTEM on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Your answer is a little vague. First of all you say I likely "have an iced up or blocked . . ." Iced up or blocked what? The vent at the top, back of the refrigerator that I mentioned? Second, by trying to "totally defrost the unit," since is there is no frost anywhere visible does this mean simply emptying and unplugging the unit for six hours? Clarification on these questions would be appreciated. Thanks, Brian

Ok you may have a vent blockage, the evaporator on your unit is under the base of the refrigerator cavity. That one often gets iced up in spots inside the evaporator chamber and can cause an airflow issue. If the fan is working correctly and blowing I would at minimum take out the bottom plate in the refrigerator to expose the evaporator and fan to check it out. That unit just uses mechanical slide dampers and a regular mechanical thermostat so if you are having a freezing issue you either have a bad thermostat or airflow issue. CLICK HERE TO SEE BREAKDOWN

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I stated in my original question that the (evaporator) fan runs fine until I replace even one produce drawer and then it freezes up again. You said “If the fan is working correctly and blowing I would at minimum take out the bottom plate in the refrigerator to expose the evaporator and fan to check it out.” That direction seems backwards. That is, it would seem to make more sense to take out the bottom plate to expose the evaporator fan and then check it out. I have done that. As stated, the fan runs fine until I replace a produce drawer.You further state that “That unit just uses mechanical slide dampers and a regular mechanical thermostat so if you are having a freezing issue you either have a bad thermostat or airflow issue.” What do you mean by “that unit”? The evaporator fan? And what are “slide dampers”? And where is the thermostat for “that unit” located?Thanks!
Expert:  bonzaco replied 9 months ago.

Leave this with me until tomorrow and I will try and get an illustrated diagram and sent it to you so that we are both singing off the same songsheet. Perhaps an overview of the system would help at this time. The system switches on and starts to cool, with the fans running and cold are being ducted up into the fridge as required. Periodically say every 6 to 8 hours of compressor run time the automatic defrost is switched on by a defrost timer. This switches a heater on which defrosts any ice on the evaporator and it runs down the drain hole. Fitted to the heater is what is called a defrost termination thermostat which senses the temperature and when it reaches say 35f will switch the cooling back on. So with your information to hand, Fan freezes up and doesn't run, drain hole freezes up and water can't escape, ducts freeze up. You manually defrost the unit and all goes back to normal until it freezes up again. Initial thoughts - there is a problem with one of the following, defrost timer (not working) heater (s) not functioning or the control of the heaters is faulty.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have not heard back from you since you said "Leave this with me until tomorrow and I will try and get an illustrated diagram and sent it to you so that we are both singing off the same songsheet." Since then I did unplug the unit, emptied just the refrigerator and left the door open for over 12 hours. I did NOT empty or leave open the freezer. This did not appear to fix the problem. Would you recommend emptying and leaving open the freezer as well?