Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

My kitchenaid dishwasher, model KDTE304DSSo won't start.

Customer Question

My kitchenaid dishwasher, model KDTE304DSSo won't start. When I turn the dishwasher on and close the door, it makes a low rattling sound every 5 seconds or so, about 8 of them, and then switches itself off. I cleaned the filters and tried again but no luck - it just did the same thing. Can you help?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.

Let's try to see what error you're getting. Turn the dishwasher off. Choose any 3 buttons on the control panel. Press them in the following sequence, 1-2-3-1-2-3-1-2-3 with no more than 1 second between each button push.

Watch the clean light. It will flash "X" amount of times, then pause 2 seconds, and flash "Y" amount of times, then pause 5 seconds and start over again.

Can you tell me how many times X and Y are please?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
All buttons lit up but nothing flashed
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.

OK nothing flashes after all the lights illuminate? If you wait the clean light should start flashing after 15 seconds or so.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Well it's been sitting with no flashing for more than 15 seconds. Any other ideas?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
hello???
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.

OK that means you don't have any error codes saved. So now you need to determine if the drain pump or the circulation pump is causing the rattling noise. Remove the kick panel below the door and unplug the drain pump which looks like the part below.

CLICK HERE for drain pump

Start a cycle and see if the noise goes away. If so, then remove the pump and check for debris hitting the impeller. Try the dishwasher again and if the noise is still there, replace the pump.

Now if the noise is there even with the drain pump unplugged, you'll need to remove the circulation pump and check for debris. If you find nothing then replace the circulation pump which is the larger motor pump below the dishwasher.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 9 months ago.

I am a different tech, That is the pump trying to run there may be something caught in the pump itself. remove the bottom panel and you will see this pump off to the left CLICK HERE put your hand on it and see if that is vibrating or rattling. If so the unit is trying to pump out check the over flow float on the unit and see if it is stuck up. That is the dome float in the corner of the basin see if it moves up and down freely...I am APPLIANCE GURU and know this machine well.

I would lik you to know that I am a tech that works for the site, the payment you made to the site is not fully credited to me, further the only way I am actually receive any payment for my time by the site is by you selecting a STAR using the STAR RATING SYSTEM on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have no idea what a kick panel is or how to remove it.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
This has been a waste of time. I would like a full refund of my money.

On the very bottom down by the floor you will SEE two large plastic FLAT head screws or regular 1/4" sheet metal screws just turn the large flat heads a half turn and pop them out and the panel will pop out or unscrew the 1/4" sheet metal screws if you have those to get the panel off. Also have you checked the dome float in the basin.