Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Suddenly, my Whirlpool dryer will not turn on.

Customer Question

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 9 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now.

Ok one of three things can cause this typically, check the power to the unit first. Second check the door switch and make sure it is working. Then last check the thermal fuse above the vent outport, you have to remove the back of the dryer to check it. Here is a link to that part. You can unplug the unit and interlock and tape the wires together that go to the thermal fuse so they can not touch ground then plug it in and try it. If it works check the vent and make sure it is clear and replace the part.

CLICK HERE

I am just a tech and payment for our work is on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING SYSTEM on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No help whatsoever. Can't find a fuse anywhere. Nearly useless.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Use YouTube instead. This service sucks.

Your replies seem odd. I gave you a link to the part and told you the location, but it is odd you would not even ask for a followup question and jump right to this service sucks, no help whatsoever? So I bet the fuse was bad though. Take care.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Where is the fuse? A picture is worth a thousand words.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My responses aren't odd. Just realistic. This is too complicated to do via just text.
Expert:  Chas replied 9 months ago.

Hello from our service,

My name is***** am so happy to help you today.

I would like to say that we are also on the honors system. I in good faith am going to do my utmost to ensure your satisfaction. Please before rating me, make sure that I have answered all your questions.

DO you still need help?

Here is a video

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Of course, but I think this medium is a poor way to do a home fix-it job
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Fuse in the back? OK, the back of the dryer is off. What fuse? Where? Don't see anything looking like a fuse anywhere.
Expert:  Chas replied 9 months ago.

Give me a minute to see if I can find you a nice clear picture

Expert:  Chas replied 9 months ago.

I am still looking but the fuse looks like this, you should only see the termianls sticking out.

Expert:  Chas replied 9 months ago.

Here you go

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Tips are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Expert:  Chas replied 9 months ago.

Did you find the thermal fuse?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I saw it on the video.
Expert:  Chas replied 9 months ago.

Okay, any other questions?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
But, I don't have an ohmeter or multi-meter or whatever. I can't take this any further. Too late for me to get anything more accomplished tonight.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No, I'll just skip to calling a service technician next time. This service doesn't work for me.
Expert:  Chas replied 9 months ago.

Okay, don't need one, it has 2 blue wires going to it, does it not?

Expert:  Chas replied 9 months ago.

if you unplug the dryer, take the 2 wires from the thermal fuse, and tape them together, then plug in the dryer and see if it starts, if so then you know it was the fuse and will need to replace it. check that.

Expert:  Chas replied 9 months ago.

Calling a service out would have cost you over $100 plus parts, this is not a hard repair, why spend money you don't need to.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Trying to pull off the leads.
Expert:  Chas replied 9 months ago.

they should come off pretty easy, if needed use a pair of pliers.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It didn't start, but I'm not convinced it's the fuse.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
There is no resistance from the start button. When I press it, there is no give. It's as if the button is already pushed in.
Expert:  Chas replied 9 months ago.

Is the door switch broken?

Expert:  Chas replied 9 months ago.

Rarely does the start button break

Expert:  Chas replied 9 months ago.

in 20 years I don't think I replaced 3 start buttons

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Door switch not broken as far as I know.
Expert:  Chas replied 9 months ago.

try holding in the door switch and see if it starts

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No start.
Expert:  Chas replied 9 months ago.

This may be stupid, have you checked the breakers to make sure they did not pop on you?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
but I'll do it one more time.
Expert:  Chas replied 9 months ago.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No popped CB.
Expert:  Chas replied 9 months ago.

I am sorry we cannot go further without a meter. everything checks okay, except it will not start. I am not sure if you are getting the voltage to the dryer. I apologize for wasting your time tonight.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
OK
Expert:  Chas replied 9 months ago.

Have a nice weekend

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
You too. Thanks.

Payment for our work is on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING SYSTEM on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I don't like the service.
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! If the start button feels like it is held in, the timer has a bad set of contacts and will need to be replaced.

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

CLICK HERE

Access is gained by removing the rear access panel from the control area. The knob will pull off and two mounting screws will come out, allowing the timer to be removed.

Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!