Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My fridigaire gallery 40" smooth top electric range oven

Customer Question

My fridigaire gallery 40" smooth top electric range oven only heats to 250 degrees and stops. It is a 2002 model plef489acb. How do I fix this problem? Thank you for your help.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.

If the oven only gets to 250 degrees, there are a couple possibilities. First, how long does it take to get to 250 degrees approximately? Can you set the temperature to 350 degrees it just doesn't get there? And does the display show you it's still only 250 degrees even though you have it set higher?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
If I set the oven temperature to 350 degrees, it warms up to 250 degrees at the normal heat up rate, but stops at 250 and never goes beyond that temp.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.

OK so that means that your thermostat sensor is good because it knows that the oven isn't getting up to the correct temperature. This means that either your bake element is bad or your control board is bad. The oven uses the broil element at 30% during preheat to heat the oven quicker which is enough to get the oven to 250 degrees, but it won't get warmer than that unless the bake element is on 100% of the time during preheat. You'll need to pull the oven forward, remove the back sheet metal panel, and unplug the oven. Disconnect the 2 wires going to the bake element at the bottom of the element and use a multimeter to test continuity through the element. If the element doesn't have continuity, then replace it. If the element does have continuity, you'd need to replace the display board since that is the part that controls power to the elements.

Also, if you don't have a multimeter to test the element, you could remove the element and bring it into an appliance parts store and they'll test it for you and let you know if it's good or not.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?