John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have a GE French door refrigerator that makes a very loud

Customer Question

I have a GE French door refrigerator that makes a very loud rattling sound. It is coming from the top right.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Only that it is loud & does not happen all the time.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Appliance Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.

Do you have a full model number located on a sticker near the ceiling of the refrigerator section so I can see what would cause the noise is the top right corner? Also, if you open any door does the noise go away?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Model # *****
No the noise does not go away when I open the door.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.

OK perfect, if the noise doesn't go away when you open the door, can you check and see if the noise may be coming from behind that back center vent inside the refrigerator against the back wall?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No I that fan was replaced.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.

You're going to have to do more investigation because what you're telling me doesn't make sense. You can track down the noise, but there is nothing in the upper right corner of the refrigerator so you need to figure out where the noise is coming from.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Exactly when I put my hand on the outside of the top right side panel I can feel the vibration. It is very loud
Expert:  Sean F. replied 9 months ago.

Hi my name is***** am a different tech. Do you have cabinets built around your refrigerator?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Top and left side. The water filter is on the right. When I changed it 3 weeks ago the noise stopped for 2 days. Then started again.
Expert:  Sean F. replied 9 months ago.

O.K try getting water from your unit and see if it makes noise.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ithe is ice only and when
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I do not think you can help me.
Expert:  Sean F. replied 9 months ago.

how often does it make noise?

Expert:  Sean F. replied 9 months ago.

I think you are right. I don't think I will be able to help. Sounds like you will in a tech to come out and be able to put hands on to find were your noise is coming from. Your noise/vibration is coming from another location and then just vibrating to the top right.

Best of luck.

Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 9 months ago.

I am a different tech could you take a video of it and upload it?