Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

I have a stand alone continuous ice maker that has stopped

Customer Question

I have a stand alone continuous ice maker that has stopped making ice. I think the reason is the water line is freezing over because when I manually turn it off and restart, the motor turns on to start the water flow but no water comes out of the spout. When I turn it off and leave the door open for an hour, then turn it on, water flows and makes ice.
Suggestions for why this is happening and how to fix?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 35 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.

Can I please have the Full model number of the unit to better assist you ?
open the door it is normally on the right interior wall

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
kuic15nrts2

Ok you think that the water line is freezing up !

so if you turn it off then right back on does it start to flow them or do you have to leave it off for awhile before it will start flowing again?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have to leave it off for while. Then it works. If I restart right away it doesn't.

ok so when it does not run the water can you hear the circulation pump running?

It could be a issue of where all the water is used up and the evaporator plate is a big slab of ice which would be a plate thermistor issue.

Or it could be a issue of the water is not getting into the unit at times.

every time you turn the unit off and back on it automatically refills the water reservoir ,and almost impossible for the water manifold to freeze.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
after a certain amount of time the water circulation starts but there is no water and it makes a bad sound.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The plate is making ice when the water circulates.

ok when this happens can you look up just above the grid and look back in the unit to see if you see a big block of ice.

This will tell me if it is a thermistor issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is that water is not getting into the unit. But when I turn it off and leave it off for a while water DOES get to the unit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is a big slab of ice because I recently did the stop wait and restart thing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The metal plate is cooling.

ok so if it is the water not getting into the unit it can be two things .

The water inlet valve or the control board itself.

When it is not getting water and it makes the slurping sound if you turn it off and right back on will it fill up then or does it hesitate to fill ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It will only fill after I have left the unit of for 30 minutes or so. Fight now one ice slab just hit the ice cube grid and the resevoir refilled. This will work for 2 or 3 times then the water will stop flowing again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could the valve be freezing if it maybe has a small leak?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have to run an errand.. How long will this conversation stay open?

no the actual valve is under the unit were al the heat is coming from , so it will never freeze unless the unit is outside and the ambient temp is below freezing .

You need to watch it and make sure a big slab is forming and the water reservoir runs dry.

Just copy This conversations URL and paste it into your favorites and get back to me when you can!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks, ***** ***** there is a big slab and the water reservoir is fully used.

ok great info that means the evaporator thermistor is not telling the control board it is cold enough to harvest the slab of ice.

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau.
They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year!
They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Thermistor/2313635/1175347?ss=-x32333133363335&mr=0?rcaid=1000070

it attaches to the underside of the evaporator plate and plugs into the underside of the console If you have any questions just reply back.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok I am back. I see this is probable but why does it work internittently, after I have turned the unit off for 20-30 minutes? Seems that if this was the problem then it would not ever "tell" the water to turn on. And when it works it is after the until has warmed up. Seems intuitively if the evaporator thermistor is not telling the control board it is cold enough to harvest the slab of ice it would be worse if it is warmer. not better.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok it is not that. I am sitting here and listening to it and I now see that half of the water is going down the drain. I have a loose hose somewhere. Will take it apart tomorrow and trouble shoot it. thanks anyway.

when you turn it off your resetting the memory on the control board .

The evaporator plate does not tell the unit to turn the water on that is done via the control board once it goes into a harvest mode.

In the harvest mode the unit heats the evaporator plate to drop the slab down onto the grid to cut the cubes and at that same time the control tells the water valve to go on and to let water into the water reservoir.

If the thermistor never tells the control to go into harvest it just keeps circulating the water over the Evaporator plate, and it makes a bigger slab until it runs out of water till the pump start slurping the water.

You turn it off the slab drops down on the grid ,and when you turn the unit back on it reset the control , and fills the reservoir until the control senses the bad thermistor and it starts all over again .

Ok You need to realize that is why I asked you to watch it so we knew exactly what it is doing .

You are my eyes and ears. if it is dumping water you could have a slab hung up ,partially on the grid ans partially on the Evaporator plate and water travelling over the slab and dumping the water. .

So watch it and let me know what you see.