Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Model no RS261 MD the front panel- press control buttons do

Customer Question

model no RS261 MD the front panel- press control buttons do not work (ice maker- water
refrigerator - freezer ,etc.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.

The freezer light blinking is actually an error code telling you there is something with the freezer not cooling properly. Now if the door was left cracked open for awhile or opened often recently, that could have caused the light to start flashing. To reset the light, just unplug the refrigerator for 60 seconds and that should reset the light. If the light comes back flashing again after awhile, you'd need to remove the back panels inside the freezer and see if the coils behind the back panel are packed with frost. If so, then use a hair dryer to thaw them out and you know you have a defrost issue because it's not defrosting on it's own. If the coils are NOT packed with frost, then close the door and open it quickly after 60 seconds to see if the fan above the coils is running. If the fan is not running (it only runs when the door is closed) then you'd need to replace the evaporator fan motor because it's not circulating the air properly.

Other than that, if the unit won't get cold enough and the fan is running and the coils aren't packed with frost, you'd need a technician because you have a sealed system issue and that means a freon leak or bad compressor which is not something you can fix yourself.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?