Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Whirlpool duet ((Motor drive) bought last year in use

Customer Question

Whirlpool duet ((Motor drive) bought last year in use yesterday but then hot water stopped coming in due to a burst hot water tank - there was a code (not sure what) but now only humming noise, door locked light flashing (clothes still in there)
JA: Sometimes appliance issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Appliance Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you ready to speak with the Appliance Technician now?
Customer: Yes thanks
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! Is there water that has not drained out from the last cycle? Where is the humming coming from, can you tell?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fabric conditioner has not been dispensed and the clothes actually dont look wet.
The humming is either drain pump or motor (i think motor)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried turning power off at circuit board and waiting hoping it would reset but no luck. The door locked light keeps flashing and there is the noise
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Unplug the machine. Does your model have a small panel at the bottom of the front, under the door? Or, is it all one piece panel in the front?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
one piece panel
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

I will need the model to see how we can reset the control. Did you leave it off at the breaker for a couple hours or just a minute or two?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
For a few minutes
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

It will take longer than that to reset the board. Can you unplug it for an hour and see if it changes the behavior at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you see the photos?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

I will need the model but let's try something. Press any button but start or cancel for 3 seconds, release for 3 seconds, press for 3 seconds, release for 3 seconds, and keep repeating that. Does the display light all up after about 3-5 times of that?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Is the pump running even when the control is off?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

So, if you start a cycle, what exactly happens?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing
Only the door locked is flashing and it makes that humming noise - none of the buttons responds
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

There must be water that has not drained or the control is confused. Try the extended power cycle and we can see what happens after power up.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is the extended power cycle? The control is not the only thing that is confused!!
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, power off (unplugged) for an hour.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still the same
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

You are going to need to take the top panel off to unlock the door and get the model number. If we cannot reset it, we will need to get to the pressure switch at the top and make the control think the tub is empty. Can you remove the top and use the emergency release pull tab at the bottom of the door lock to release the lock and allow access to the model tag?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried to re set but still no luck with this
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Did you get the door open to get the model number?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just managed to get door open and refunctioning - thanks.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Excellent, so all is working now? If so, that is great and probably caused by a switch issue within the door lock.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!