Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

I have a kenmore model 417.97922701 stack washer/dryer.

Customer Question

I have a kenmore model 417.97922701 stack washer/dryer. Every couple of loads the water will poor out of it. We discovered the pump was not working correct so we replaced it. It worked 3 times then did it again. It does this only after the wash is done and when it is suppose to drain out before the rinse cycle. Like I said it only happens every couple of washes! I do not want to pay a repair man because it probably wont do it when he is here
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 9 months ago.

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 35 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.

Ok so are you saying that the pump motor is not working or that it runs and just does not drain the water out?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It is a new pump just put it in the other day. Worked fine for 3 loads then whatever tells it to work did not relay it to turn on. Then it dumps the water out the back somewhere. So sometimes the pump clicks on and sometimes it does not

Ok the pump is turned on /off via the washer timer.

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau.
They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year!
They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Timer/134237200/1014374?rcaid=1000070
If you have any questions just reply back.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have replaced the timer and still it is not telling the pump to turn on before the spin cycle! Sometimes it will sometimes it wont this is even with the new timer

The timer is the ONLY thing that powers the drain pump .

Are you sure that you do not have a loose wire from the timer to the pump that would be erratic in giving voltage to the drain pump ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
We have checked the wires. Sometimes it works sometimes it pours water out the back of the unit because the pump does not click on before spin cycle the pump has not problem kicking on any other time during cycle its just after the agitating before the spin cycle. It happened every 20 loads before and now it is every other load or more! I have replaced the pump and timer now and it is still happening. The unit is only 5 years old

do you have a volt -ohm meter and know how to use it? to be able to test for voltage to the drain pump.

does the lid seem to close properly?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the lid closes fine. What am I putting the volt tester on?

test the Red/white to the Black /Red and your looking for 120 volts A/c

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
is that only when it is calling for it or all the time?

that is when the unit should be draining!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
We have 120 all the way thru to the spin cycle

Yes you should is the pump running when you have the voltage present?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
we have it disconnected to test the wires

ok so lets plug the pump back in and test the voltage with your meter leads on the backside of the plug.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
If the pump is clicking on dont we know it is getting the 120?

yes but you have said that the pump is not running at times .

so we need to be able to say wither or not if the pump is getting voltage and just not running or not!1