Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Whirlpool WET3300SQ1 stacked washer and the washer

Customer Question

I have a Whirlpool WET3300SQ1 stacked washer and the washer drum makes a loud click/thud every half turn on a spin. so What could it be and do i have to remove the top dryer to get to the washer or can i just remove a back panel?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

The loud thud you hear every half turn on spin means that either your basket drive assembly will need to be replaced, or the drive block is stripped out. You can't remove the dryer on top so that isn't an option. You also don't go through the back of the washer to repair it either. This is probably best for a technician to repair because it will require a spanner wrench to remove the inner basket in order to check the drive block. Either way, the angled panel between the washer and dryer will need to be removed, then the top panel of the washer, then the front panel of the washer. Then you'd need to remove the agitator at which point you'll see a large spanner nut which you can't remove without a spanner wrench. Remove the spanner nut and then pull the entire inner basket out to look at the drive block below it. If the drive block is stripped, replace it. If the drive block looks good, then you'd need to replace the basket drive which requires dropping the transmission and removing the motor and clutch and such. These options aren't great and on a stack unit it makes the work twice as difficult, but those are the things that would cause the noise.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?