Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

While frying on stovetop, grease spatter caused spark and

Customer Question

While frying on stovetop, grease spatter caused spark and breaker blew. Got a new display board which does work but seem to be no power to display. burners on top work
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Whirlpool Gold Accubake oven. Got a new display board from appliance timers and it does work when hooked to a power source but does not work when installed. using voltage tester seems there is no power from power plug
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Appliance Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 9 months ago.

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 35 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.

Can I please have the Full model number of the unit to better assist you ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I cannot find it

open the oven door it will be either on the oven face frame or behind the drawer below the oven if this model has a drawer.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
GY395LXG04

Thank you !

Do you have a volt -ohmmeter and know how to use it? to be able to do any testing.

your model number is ***** GY395LXGQ4

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have a voltage tester. Like a pen

ok that is worthless when testing for true voltage.

You say the new display board which works but gives no display ,can you explain(( it works))?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I took a old power cord and cut end off the hooked to display and it lit up
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It's like no power getting to board when installed

ok so then it is not getting voltage when installed .

You have a thermal cut off on the Black L1 power lead to the control board is is under the console item #15

http://www.partadvantage.com/diagram/3/0/00081398/680/900 if it is open you will not have power to the control board ans no oven mode opeation

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau.
They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year!
They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Thermal-Fuse/341196/529543?ss=-x333431313936&mr=0?rcaid=1000070
If you have any questions just reply back.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Not sure where this fuse is

did you open the link that I sent you that showed the thermal fuse ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Got the fuse but what am I looking for

unplug the oven from the wall remove the two wires off the thermostat and using a paper clip as a jumper join the two wires to eath other .Make sure the paper clip is not touching metal and plug the unit back in and see if the control board now has a working display if it does the thermal needs to be replaced.

And I already send you the link for the thermostat so you can order it

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Where is thermostat

This is the second time I have asked you did you open the parts break down link that I sent you @4;27

Here it is once again .

http://www.partadvantage.com/diagram/3/0/00081398/680/900 if it is open you will not have power to the control board ans no oven mode operation.

Open the link it will show you the thermostat and where it is located under the console.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have the part shown. What does open mean

no resistance =open, no way for voltage to travel through it.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is the thermal fuse and thermostat the same
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Are you still available

Sorry I`m not online 24-7

The thermal fuse and the thermostat are different the thermal fuse and the thermostat are both under the console the thermostat is to turn on the cooling fan it is item#14 in the parts breakdown and the thermal fuse is #15 .

some people will call the thermal fuse a thermostat also.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I purchased a multimeter and the thermal fuse is ok. What else could it be

ok so now lets test voltage to the control board test terminal P4-3 black wire to the P4-1 white you should be getting 120 volts A/C

And the thermal fuse you tested did have a black wire on each side correct?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am at work now but will test tonite. It was black wires

ok just wanted to make sure you had the correct thermostat .

Till then!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The black and white wire run into a plug that plugs into board. I touched the meter terminals to black and white and just got a continuity signal. No voltage. Not sure doing it right

ok when testing for continuity you need to have the meter set for ohm Ω

When your testing for voltage you need to have it set on voltage A/C, you will not get voltage if the meter is set on ohm Ω

If the thermal fuse (two black wires) shows continuity but you have no voltage on the Black P4-3 to the White P4-1 on the control

You have a broken or burnt wire to the control board that Black wire should have voltage to it at all times.

So you are either not testing it correctly or you have a wiring issue ,since the cooktop burners do work .