Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I have a GE Electric Dryer #DRSR483ED1WW. The dryer just

Customer Question

I have a GE Electric Dryer #DRSR483ED1WW. The dryer just like many in the online posts continues to shut down after 15-20 minutes into a cycle. This same thing occurred about three years ago and I replaced the motor and it seemed to fix the problem. However, this has been occurring again for about the last four to five months.
I have checked and cleaned everything and there are no obstructions or lint anywhere. I have a hard time thinking the motor has failed again in such a short time. I did notice that one the drum glides(top left side) was completely worn. any chance this could cause my problem or do you think it could be a thermostat?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 9 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now.

When it shuts down can you restart it right away?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I stated in my post that it will start every time only after a 3-5 minute cool down period.

Can you get to the thermostats on the heater housing specifically the small one at the 2 oclock position on the housing.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It starts back up only after a 3-5 minute cool down period.

On its own? and can you get at the thermostat I mentioned?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Where is this thermostat located?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It will not start back on its own. You have to turn the start switch.

Remove the top and get to the heater housing at the rear of the unit it is mounted on the top of the heater housing. Part #507 at this link

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
only way to get to it ia to unplug all wires to the top console. Is there an easier way?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Then what? I don't have an Ohm meter or anything. What am I to do once I get to the thermostat?

Remove the top panel on the unit and get to the wires or take the front off and slide the drum forward to get at them...UNplug it though first.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok. Then what?

Remove the two wires to the thermostat interlock them and tape them together and see if it runs the normal length of time. If so I would replace that thermostat or often I find the thermostat is just too low of a rating and trips to early. Just make sure the vent is clean and the ductwork inside the unit is clear.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING SYSTEM on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
When looking at the back of the dryer from the front is it the thermostat on the far left or the one next to it? I assume since you said remove the two wires then it is the one with only two red wires?

If you are standing in front of the machine looking at the round housing it is on the far right about 2 oclock postion if you look at the round heater housing like a clock..and it is the very small round one.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok will try that.

Ok and just post back here to me

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My phone went dead and I had to go somewhere. I just put the drum back in and ran the dryer. Set for 20 minutes and the dryer cut off in 16 minutes. M I can here the timer ticking down. Looks like this thermostat is not the problem. Now what do I check? Can you give me all the possible options?

Ok on your unit the only thing that can stop the motor would be the motor overload, possibly a bad timer contact unlikely though....or that thermostat...make sure it was the one with 2 BROWN wires to it....that is the only one other than the overload that can stop the motor.

I am just a tech and payment for our work is on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING SYSTEM on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
where is the motor overload and can it be replaced? I was thinking that is why I replaced the motor three years ago as I was told the overload was not replaceable. In my post originally I mentioned the drum guides being worn completely off in two places. Could this affect and cause my problem.

Yes if the glides are really worn bad or gone that could cause a strain on the motor, the overload is not serviceable it is buried between the motor windings. You can try to replace the upper kit WE49X20697 that kit comes complete with the glides support and felt seal.