Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

We had a power surge at our house and it up the control unit

Customer Question

we had a power surge at our house and it burnt up the control unit on our bosch dishwasher. I replaced the control unit and now am getting an e15 code. I have looked on line and some say and e15 code is caused by having water leak into the pan on the bottom causing the float switch to turn on. Others say that the code refers to the unit not having water. Also, i can only get the code to clear if I turn off the unit. Lastly, could this be a phantom code . thanks
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! That error is indeed a flood code, see the attached page. Have you checked to see if there is water in the base?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no water in base, the float switch "clicks" when moved.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
washer has been sitting unused since the lighting strike, so no water in unit
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Can you use a meter to measure the continuity through that switch to see if it may have welded contacts?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
now getting out of my league. i do have access to a meter, but honestly have never used one
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the control board had visual burn marks (when I took it apart)
I did not see anything on that switch. I did not take it off all the way, but it appeared fine
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Give me just a few minutes to look up the service code initiation and we can see if it will manually clear.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Using the attached instructions, can you see if it will initiate a service cycle or if the pump remains running and the error stays displayed, please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
at office right now. headed home and will be there in about 30 minutes. will try then and will immediately respond.thanks
DT
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Sure, thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just in case relevant, the pump stays running intermittently while the e-15 code is on
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Correct, the control is getting a signal that there is water flooding.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A little confused as to steps. Right when i plug in, machine goes to e15
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

If you push the buttons indicated on the sheet I sent you when you power it up, does it change? If not, the flood switch is closed or the control is faulty. Those are the only things that will cause that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Back to testing...i do get into the po mode and going through steps i get back to e15
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

So, if that switch is good (tested with a meter) then the electronic control is faulty.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I was just checking in with you because I have not heard back from you. If you have no other questions, positive feedback would be appreciated.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced the switch on the float and still have the e15 code
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

It has to be a control issue then. The control is seeing a message from that switch or the control has issues.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
brand new control board...is there a way to reprogram, so that the machine will run and then sense fault instead of fault already being triggered
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

It won't go into a diagnostics if it detects a flood, no. So there has to be an issue with that circuit. Wiring and connectors okay at the control and switch?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
meaning did i connect the wires properly....i am fairly certain of that.... if i were to put them in the wrong position, does that burn out the board. I could try to adjust them to see if i get any change.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Just the ones on the board would be the only ones that would be suspect.