Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson,
Experience:  Owner at Scott's Appliance Repair
89799402

We have a Maytag Microwave over the stove model with a 5E or

Customer Question

We have a Maytag Microwave over the stove model with a 5E or possibly SE on the display Is there any solution to this error message? The selection buttons on the push pad are inoperable. I know the Serial number but the Model number is ***** and cannot be read. To find out the model number, I need to drop the microwave from its position above the stove.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 1 year ago.

That error code is a touch pad error.

The problem lies with the ribbon cable that connects the Keypad to the circuit board. The ribbon cable folds back onto itself and touches. Over time the coating on the ribbon cable breaks down electrically and the wire traces in the ribbon will arc to the other section of ribbon cable. The solution is to separate the two ribbon cables using paper and electrical tape.

separate the ribbon cable and then insert a small piece of paper between them and work the paper all the way down into the Keypad assembly as far as it will go.
Using electrical tape, apply a small piece between the ribbon cables to hold the paper in place. Next, use more electrical tape and put it between the two ribbon cables enough so as to keep the ribbon cables separated.

and that should take care of the problem.

We are on the honor system for our time so I Kindly ask you to rate my service BEFORE YOU LEAVE TODAY by clicking 3 or better on the STAR RATING SYSTEM at the top of your page.

This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions.

TIPS are not expected but are GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Thank you!