Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore
19941226

Stan - My duet dryer doesn't dry my clothes completely.

Customer Question

JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: We must use the heavy duty setting, and yet when the indicator show done, the clothes are still damp and must be cycled again.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Appliance Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dave and I'm happy to help you. Does the dryer get the clothes hot but just seem to take a lot longer than it has in the past?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The clothes do get hot, but the dryer seems to think that they are dry and shuts off too soon, thuis they are warm and damp.

Thanks. There are several possible issues so we will start with the most common. Often the vent tubing in the house or the vent hood are clogged. Poor airflow is the number one cause of slow drying. Do you know where the vent comes out of the house? Can you start the dryer and see how much air is coming out?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will do that.

Let me know what you see and if needed we will go to the next step.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well - I thought I knew which vent was the dryer, but now I find that it was not the one I thought. Apparently it must be one of the ones that is too high for me to reach?

That could be if the dryer is on the second floor. Can you see if the flap is open on one of them after you start the dryer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I have identified it. It has a plastic grate over it, but I think I can hear it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The house is like a "split level" with a basement on the downside of a hill. The run from the dryer to the vent opening has to be 50 feet or so.

Wow! Another option is to pull out the dryer and remove the vent and run one test load. There will be a lot of heat, moisture and lint but it lets you know if the vent is the issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm thin*****, *****, that I may do that tomorrow or Sunday when I have time. I have a couple pieces of 4" PVC pipe that I can use to vent it into the garage. The dryer is a really tight fit and the vent was on the wrong side - so when we installed it, the turn angles were extreme. I suppose my problem could be with that!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It occurs to me, though, that the lint screen is often quite full - which would indicate that the vent is blowing the air well?

Yes, every 90 degree bend is like adding 6' of tubing. It gets very restrictive. Let me know what happens.

How did you do checking the vent or did you run a load with the vent off? Do you still need help?

Hello again. One last thing to do that helps. Wash the lint filter with water and detergent. When you first put water in it the water might lay on top because of fabric softener build up. You can't see it but it block air. Let me know how you are doing. Do you still need help?