Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

I'm reasonably handy and have replaced the sump and impeller

Customer Question

I'm reasonably handy and have replaced the sump and impeller in my GE dishwasher. However, there was a delay in getting the parts, so now I have forgotten and didn't mark which wiring harness goes to solenoid and which goes to motor. Is there any easy way to figure this out?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 9 months ago.

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 35 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.

Have you tested the wiring to the pump to see if your even getting voltage to the pump?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No, I actually am cautious to hook up connectors because I don't want to reverse them OR reverse the polarity and blow up the pump/motor. So that is why my question has to do with how to tell which connectors go where.

the pump is a A/C motor not a D/C voltage you can not reverse the leads, Black and white go to the motor does not make any difference which terminal which color is on .

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Okay, that is great to know -- now I am more comfortable about the motor, I understand there is not a polarity concern. However, the wiring harness has two plugs that are in different parts in the wiring sequence and I am having trouble figuring out which one goes to motor and which one goes to solenoid. I am not talking about the direct wire connection for an installation,I am talking about the removable wiring harnesses that I unplugged when I removed the motor/pump to replace other parts.

The drain solenoid should be grey and white wires and the drain pump should be black and normally two white wires.

Do you still need assistance on your question?

If not I see you have not rated me as of yet!
Even after you rate me if you have a question just reply back to me,
I will still assist you ,but rating me is the ONLY way I get paid for my time