John, restaurant equipment technician
Experience:  25+ years experience. I'm now employed by a commercial cooking equipment service company
22250861

I have a Vulcan Commercial fryer gfs 3 model. I had the gas

Customer Question

I have a Vulcan Commercial fryer gfs 3 model. I had the gas valve changed about a year ago. Recently I cleaned all my connectors. However, I have had problems ever since I reattached the wires. Now, the fryer spits and sputters when the burners ignite. The sound of the burners is even different. Can this be due to it being wired up wrong or is their something else going on with this fryer? I have cleaned the orafices and blown them out on the burner manifold.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 9 months ago.

Are you able to pin point the source of the noise? Does it sound like it's coming from inside the vat, where the oil is, or from inside the cabinet? Thank you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
inside the cabinet where the burners are. The burners themselves sputters. However, I do have an even blue flame from all three burners.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Can you provide me with a proper wiring diagram for the components of the fryer and how they should connect to the gas valve. Please be very detailed as to which port the thermopile should connect to, which port the high limit should connect to and which ports the thermostat should connect to. The previous wiring had three different wires connecting with horseshoe clips at wire port TH. This is a Robert Shaw gas valve we are hooking up to.
Expert:  John replied 9 months ago.

I think you may have a vat oil leak that's close to one or more of the burners. Try placing a piece of clean, dry cardboard on the floor underneath the fryer during during periods of non-use, to see if you see oil drops. Please get back to me with the result of this test. Thank you.

Expert:  John replied 9 months ago.

I just noticed the rest of your request about the thermostat sensing bulb port positions. It really makes little difference which threaded hole they go into, as long as the oil covers all the bulbs. I'll look for the wiring diagram for you, and get back to you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I don't think that is the problem have never seen any oil on the floor, besides this fryer only started doing this when my tech changed the wiring configuration.
Expert:  John replied 9 months ago.

OK. Thank you. Let me do a look up, and I'll get back to you. Incidently, did you check the burner air shutters for dust build up and the burner holes for carbon buildup?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
We thoroughly cleaned out the burners, and sprayed the inside of the fryer to rid the carbon build up
Expert:  John replied 9 months ago.

While I did not find you listed model number at www.commercialapplianceparts.com, I did find GEF-3M. This unit was made for McDonalds in years part, and it contains similar working parts.

Please get back to me, if you need further assistance. Thank you.

Expert:  John replied 9 months ago.

Do you need any more help, before your request times out?