Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

My Viking side/side 36" has been slowly over the last 2 days

Customer Question

My Viking side/side 36" has been slowly over the last 2 days not cooling. It started in the bottom freezer (currently 44 degrees) now the refrigerator is running about 60 degrees. My ice maker was the first to go.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! You either have a problem with the air flow or there is a sealed refrigeration system issue. Can you hear a fan running in the freezer section? Can you see any frost on the back wall inside the freezer?

May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am not at home currently, I can hear the fan running and there is moisture on back wall
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

Is it moisture beads or frost, looking like snow?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No frost, temp in freezer 55 degrees
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

Okay, the refrigerant has leaked out. This is a repair that will require an on site visit, that is the bad news. The good news is that if it is less than 5 years old, it is probably covered under the limited sealed system warranty. This repair requires extensive training, special tools and a federal license to repair sealed systems and work with refrigerant.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It is 8 years old. Is the cost worth the repair in most cases? I know the name Viking jacks the price up.
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

I would estimate repair to be around $1000 or so. I would probably not repair it unless it is a built in model.