John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

Whirlpool duet dryer gew9250pl1... dryer controls light up,

Customer Question

whirlpool duet dryer gew9250pl1... dryer controls light up, but dryer does not run at all.
JA: Sometimes appliance issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Appliance Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: dryer control panel lights up normal and lets me select whatever settings I want. When I press and hold the green start button the cycle does not begin, but there is a click inside the dryer. The light inside the drum does go off when I close the door, and there is not an error code being displayed.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Appliance Technician should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 9 months ago.

Hello this is Dave and thanks for your question. First unplug the dryer. There is a thermal fuse behind the bottom panel on the blower duct on electric models. The lower panel is held on with 2 screws near the floor. It is easier to get to the fuse if you remove the lint duct. Open the door and remove the lint filter. Close the door and remove the hex-head screws from the lint filter duct and remove it. The fuse is a small plastic part with light blue wires attached. It should have continuity if you have a meter to test it but if not, you can put both wires together and tape them for safety and try the dryer. If it runs you can check to make sure there is not an overheating problem and that the vent is clean and then replace the fuse. Let me know what happens. Here is a link to a video that will help you. Dryer video link There are other possible causes but this is most common. Let me know what happens. Dave

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the dryer does not turn on when start is pressed, it has had the thermistor and heating elements replaced due overheating issues. dryer venting is free and clear. dryer still seems too warm though. It just will not start its cycle anymore. My understanding is that the thermal fuse will only prevent the heating element from working... and it has continuity now...

On a Whirlpool electric dryer the thermal fuse will prevent the motor from running if it fails. On a gas dryer it prevent heat. Can you see if the drum belt is in place around the drum and the tension pulley? There is a switch that open if the belt breaks. If that is good we will need to use a meter to take voltage readings. The main three things that can stop the dryer motor are the thermal fuse, the door switch and the broken belt switch. If they are good we need to test voltage out of the control board.

Do you still need help?