John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

Purchased sears Kenmore frig last year model number

Customer Question

Purchased sears Kenmore frig last year model number ***-***-****1. a couple times since that time there is a small puddle of black goo on the floor on the right front of the frig (hinge door side). I can easily clean it up with 409. Is this goo from the compressor and is it anything to worry about?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 9 months ago.

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 35 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.

The substance would not be from the compressor it is a sealed pressurized system .

Does it just come from the hinge area? asking have you pulled the unit out to verify that is is actually coming from the hinge ?

And do you have any cooling issue with the unit at all?

And does the right side or the freshfood section door ever get direct sun light on it at any time during the day?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I pulled the bottom grille off and can't see where the goo is coming from. It looks like a black ink. There is no cooling issue and the frig seems to operate ok. The is no issue with sunlight since it is frig is away from sun light in the kitchen area with an above cabinet and wall to one side. I have not seen anything like this before.

but have you pulled the refrigerator out away from the wall and looked under it to verify that is is truly coming from that hinge area or is it just coming from under the unit and running out on that corner?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have pulled the frig from the wall. I removed the bottom back cover to see the fan and compressor. Looked in with a shop light but can not see any fluid. I can not see where the black fluid is coming from or any trail since the unit space on the bottom is small. This is the second time a pool of black fluid was found in the same spot under the front right corner about in back of the roller wheel. After removing the front grille I see a black plastic catch pan but I can not remove it. It appears to have a small amount of water in it but I can't tell without removing it. Nothing in the frig manual says how to remove that bottom tray and it appears tethered to the bottom.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I think since this frig is less than a year old the manual says the warranty is covered for a year I will call Sears to make good on this problem.

Oh yes if it is in warranty ,let the manufacturer look at it .

sorry I left with out notice .

I had an Emergency that I had to leave abruptly for.