Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Ice is forming in the bottom of the freezer side of my sub

Customer Question

Ice is forming in the bottom of the freezer side of my sub zero side by side. Sometimes water drips out on the floor. What can I do?
JA: Sometimes appliance issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Appliance Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: Why would ice form in the bottom of the freezer side of my Sub Zero side by side?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Appliance Technician should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Ice only forms on the bottom of the freezer if the drain line has frozen oven and is backing up. You'd need to remove everything out of the freezer and remove the back panel inside your freezer in order to see the evaporator at the bottom of your freezer behind the back wall. Below the silver coils is a funnel called a "drain pan" and there is a small hole in this drain pan that leads to a dehydration pan down below the entire refrigerator. This hole is clogged so if it's frozen with ice, use a hair dryer and thaw all the ice out. Then shoot hot water down the drain hole with a turkey baster and clear out the drain hole. Once you have that cleared out you should be good to go again. You'll know it's clear because water will drain down the hole and not back up anymore.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your answer. We will try what you have suggested.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

No problem and I'm glad I could help!