Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

We have an Electrolux EWMGD65HTSO. time now the laundry room

Customer Question

We have an Electrolux EWMGD65HTSO. For some time now the laundry room has had a gas/combustion type smell. I have had the room and dryer checked for a gas leak as well as continue to monitor the room for CO2 and Gas and there isn’t one I know it is coming from the dryer, but what is causing it? I have been told to turn the incoming gas valve down to halfway. Will this work? Will it harm the dryer? Is there something else in the dryer causing it?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 9 months ago.

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 35 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.

Turning the valve down will NOT do anything.

The gas to the dryer is not a liquid it is a gas, so turning the valve 1/2 way off will do nothing.

I`m assuming that you only have the smell when the dryer is running is that correct?

And if so have you done or had any painting /staining done in the home recently ?

Or had any flooring installed ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No, the smell is present when the dryer is off. I want to reiterate that it is a gas/combustion type smell (not rotten eggs). I also want to reiterate that the smell is coming from the dryer. I know this because we had the smell in the the laundry room off our old house. When we moved this dryer did not come into the new house. Our current dryer broke so I brought this dryer in to the new house and new the smell is here in this laundry room. To answer your guestions, no we have not done any painting, staining or had any flooring installed.

ok have you or anyone taken the dryer apart to see if anything is out of the ordinary inside the dryer? lint build up, dead animal, ETC

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have removed the back. There is no build up of lint, there is no dead animal. Also those smells would be distinctive, buring, rotten. This smell is not like that. I have also checked for a gas leak and CO2 levels. There is no danger there.

ok well if you have the smell when the dryer is NOT running it has to be something within the dryer that is making the smell.

and it would not be from the gas supply ,or CO2 because the unit is not running .

Now from the rear is hard to see the motor and blower assembly.

I would recommend to remove the top and front panels.

That way you will be able to see the motor and the blower housing .

Do you still need assistance on your question?

I see you have not rated me as of yet!
Even after you rate me if you have a question just reply back to me,
I will still assist you ,but rating me is the ONLY way I get paid for my time