Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Have a maytag top load washer, using liquid cold water

Customer Question

Have a maytag top load washer, using liquid cold water detergent,we only wash in cold water, having an issue with soap residue forming on dark clothes, after the washing cycles have ended. Any info would be greatly appreciated
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! Can you please double check that model number?

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

If your machine does not have a temperature sensor on it to regulate the wash temperature, straight cold water wash will not work for you. Detergent manufacturers consider "Cold" to be about 65-70* F. I see you are in Canada and would suspect that the straight cold ground water will be much cooler than that in the winter time, and perhaps even in the summer. Newer machines have a sensor that will add hot water to the cold, even on a cold wash setting, to make the water about 70* F. If you have an older washer, you can turn the hot valve to a very low position to adjust the warm temperature to a cooler setting but cold water washing will not get the results you seek. Once I get the correct model number I can see if you have a sensor or not in your machine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Model number is *****
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. That has a sensor in it. If you fill the tub for a cold water wash, does the water fell about 70* F or does it feel very cold?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No way of knowing, the lid is locked, no way to open the lid
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Can you feel the hoses in the back (specifically, the hot one) while it fills for a cold wash and see if the hose connector gets hot? It should be adding some hot water if you live in Canada.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I will try this when I get home, if this is the case do I turn off hot water so it just fills with cold water, or what are your thoughts?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

No, you have to have some hot water, the ground water will be too cold. The water has to be about 70* F to work with the cold water detergents. It is in the fine print on the bottle on most brands.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, so what are your thoughts? Maybe the water in too cold? We did try to the level up from cold. And there was no difference.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I think it is not adding hot water.