Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

My viking broiler will not light.

Customer Question

My viking broiler will not light.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 9 months ago.

Will you please send me the model number, so I can look up the necessary technical information for you? Thank you.

w

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Vgrc485-6gdss
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
You still there?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
John,
Are you still there?
Expert:  John replied 9 months ago.

Sorry for the delay. I was on a picnic with friends. Thank you for the model number. I'll look for technical information on your model, and I'll get back to you. Thank you.

Expert:  John replied 9 months ago.

Do you hear or see any sparking attempt at the spark electrode that's located near the broiler burner?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The ignitor was registering 3.2 amps, and so I replaced it. It now draws 3.5 amp.
Expert:  John replied 9 months ago.

That's a normal current reading for the ignitor. What I'm trying to determine now is whether or not the electrode at the burner is trying to spark or not. It operates like a spark plug in an automobile engine. It is supposed to create at spark from the straight metal rod in the porcelain to the angled wire. It's that spark that lights the gas in the burner tube.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The only additional part anywhere near the broiler is what i believe is the thermostat.
Expert:  John replied 9 months ago.

Let me search for parts information, and I'll get back to you. Thank you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Are there any other available 1technicians that are familiar with Viking ovens?
Expert:  John replied 9 months ago.

Yes, there are, and I'm going to opt out of the request, so they can take it up with you.

Thank you for choosing JustAnswer.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
How do get in touch with another tech?
Expert:  John replied 9 months ago.

Your request will be placed on the open list for other technicians to reply to. All conversations are saved, so they don't have to be repeated.

Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! If the igniter is working, which if drawing 3.5 amps it is, you either have a valve that is not opening or the broiler tube is plugged and not allowing the gas in. The attached page shows how to remove the infrared broil burner. Can you do so and see if there are any blockages in the tube that the gas has to flow through, please?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have already replaced the valve, as well as removed the burner, and although not particularly dirty, and cleaned with degreaser, and replaced. I also blew compressed air through it, and there didn't seem to be any blockages. When the problem began, the burner would light, but sort of partially. The flames would swirl around, in waves, then go out. Now no flames appear at all. The valve however does release gas as the ignitor reaches the proper temp.
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

So the burner must be blocked. Is gas coming out of the orifice to the burner? I have seen mice get in those burners and get a nice little blockage in there, as well as spider webs!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I disconnected the pipe exiting the valve, going to the burner, and blew compressed air, and aside from a few specks of debris that shot out, the orifice was clear.
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

Okay, so it has to be in the burner assembly. If you cannot clear it, you may need to replace it.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
If the burner appears clean, inside and out, and air is able to flow through it, do you still believe it's the burner? Are there ANY other possibilities?
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

Well, if the gas is leaving the valve, traveling through the tube and to the burner but the burner is not lighting, then it has to be plugged somewhere.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'll remove the burner again, and let you know what I find, if anything.
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

Sounds good, keep me posted. If you are able, can you post a picture or two of what you see?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Rechecked the orifice, as well as the burner, and air is flowing through both without any blockages......any other possibilities?
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

Are you certain the valve is opening to allow gas out of the valve and up to the burner?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sure, you can hear the gas flowing, as well as smell the very strong smell of gas coming through the burner.
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

Then the burner has to be plugged or the igniter is not installed properly. Remember, the gas pressure is very low, so blowing air with a compressor through the burner is not a good way to check it for obstruction.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The ignitor is installed properly. I'm confident the burner is not clogged. It looks virtually new, and I'd really rather not purchase a replacement for $300.00. I'm going to call a repair man.Thanks for trying.
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

Okay, let me know what you find out!