Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

My oven heats on Bake but does not on Broil. It is about 6

Customer Question

My oven heats on Bake but does not on Broil.
It is about 6 years old and is a Frigidaire wall oven.
It is a problem with the element or some type of sensor?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! Do you see any issues with the broil element, like burn marks or damaged areas? Do you have a meter to test voltage with?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No issues with the element. It looks perfect. If there were, why wouldn't that affect the Bake
I do not have a voltage meter.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

The broil element only comes on at the very start of the bake cycle then the lower bake element cycles on and off to maintain the heat. If you turn the oven to bake and feel the broil element, does it get warm at all? Does the oven take a long time to come up to temperature when used to bake?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't seem to have an upper and lower element. Is there a lower one under the plate or whatever on the bottom of the oven? I never had the nerve to feel the broil element. But when I turn on the Broil cycle there is no heat. It seems that the oven has always taken a while to come up to temperature but I don't know if it's normal or slow.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What's normal for say 350 degrees?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
By the way it's a convection oven but I don't use that feature.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My husband is in the habit of pressing buttons without really knowing what they are for.
Could he have unprogrammed something inadvertently?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

The lower one is under the floor on that model. There is nothing he could have unprogrammed. Did the broil element get warm?

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Normal time to preheat is about 20-30 minutes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it does not get warm. No heat.
I think on Bake the preheat time is about 10 to 15 minutes.
Do you want me to take a look at the element under the floor of the oven?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On Broil it was really fast when it was working.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Okay, so the element is not likely faulty. The oven control is most likely at fault, specifically the broil relay. The only way to know for sure is to test it, but with no meter, there is no way to test. I would recommend replacing the oven control. Would you like a link to that part and instructions for replacing it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I really fix it myself?? I'd be hesitant to deal with the oven and electricity.
What do you estimate a repairman would charge to repair or replace the relay?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Rough estimate is ok.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Well, the oven would need to be pulled from the cabinet to be able to remove the top access panel (number 2B in the diagram at the link below). The oven control is shown as number 20, retailing for about $235. So, I would estimate repair cost around $350-400.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I get the link and the part would I save some money?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Sure, you would save all labor costs! It would only cost you the price of the part! If you turn the breaker off, the oven can be safely removed from the wall and the oven control has four screws and a few wire plugs is all, it is very easy to replace!

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

CLICK HERE