Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My Freezer contents thawed! Door was shut... Freezer fan

Customer Question

Hello! My Freezer contents thawed! Door was shut... Freezer fan motor is running...
Tried turning down the freezer control... No luck.
Any ideas??
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.

If the fans are running but the freezer is thawing, you have an issue with your sealed system unit. In other words, it means that means that the thermostat and defrost timers are working properly which means that either you have a freon leak or the compressor is just bad since you already replaced the overload relay. Now if the compressor is humming along and running, then you may have a freon leak. If the compressor is not running or its trying to run every once in a while and cutting out, you definitely have a bad compressor since the overload relay was already replaced. Freon leak repairs are not something you can repair yourself and neither is replacing the compressor I'm afraid. To recharge a freon system it costs about $350 and to replace the compressor it's about $550 if you wanted to stick that much money into the refrigerator.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?