John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

Fggf3056kff range. Converted to propane. Right side burners

Customer Question

fggf3056kff range. Converted to propane. Right side burners (5btu and 17btu) have yellow flame (soots bottom of pans) and the left side burners and the over burn properly. Any answers?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.

Hello my name is***** wil assist you today. You did change the orfices also correct

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Previous owner (house is 6 years old) had orifices converted when it was installed.
Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.

But your issue is just now happening or has it been this way for 6 years?

Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.

If this is a new issue that did not happen before, then I would have to lean to the regulator or gas valve as your issue.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
We bought the house in April of 2015 and it's been that way from the day we moved in. Frigidair is useless for assistance other than sell me a warranty or have a tech come out. I am a professional handyman of 20 years and can take this stove apart and replace parts but I don't know what is causing this issue and have not found anyone who knows or has had this issue. Would the improper orifice cause this issue?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Does the regulator or the gas valve have an internal "split' for each burner side?
Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.

If the orfices were changed 6 years ago, then you should not have to change them, but if they were not which is what it sounds like. I would suggest changing the orfices, this happens way to often. The kit is only $24.92 part number GRLP3, you can order it from www.automaticappliance.com

Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.

I do not know about the gas valve, I would not believe it would know sides

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I can get everything from Fox Appliance locally (Atlanta) - but - will that solve the problem? Why is this occurring only on the right side?
Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.

Maybe only one side was changed? I really can not explain the reason one side is different.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
you are saying that this issue occurs with an improperly sized orifice? Why did you suggest the reg and/or valve? Have you run into this exact situation before? If so, what was the fix?
Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.

At first i felt like the orfices may have been changed, but since you are not the original owner, I think I was assuming wrong. IF they had been changed then the only other piece suppling gas is the valve or regulator, depending on how this unit is set up. If the unit does not have the correct orfice it will give you soot, and yellow flames, both of which you have. I repaired a unit yesterday that only had half the valves changed. It is very common to see this issue with propane units.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Great! lets say the orifices ARE the correct size. What would the regulator or the valve have to do with this issue? Unless it's a "split" reg or valve - that doesn't seem like it would cause only one side to do this. I just don't want to nickel dime myself to death on this.
Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.

If the orfices are the correct size the only other piece controling gas flow in this unit is the regulator. I can not tell you how or why a part is broke, but I can read a parts diagram and have a fairly mechanical mind. A wrong orfice size or wrong pressure with the only thing making the flames different sizes. As far as the soot the gas comes from the right side to the left, Maybe the closer to the regulator the burner is the higher the pressure allowing the soot to come out easier. Your first step is to change those orfices.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok. I'll change the orifices. Can i get back to you after without charge for follow up if that doesn't solve the issue?
Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.

Yes you can get back to me anytime by just coming back to this link. Please take a moment to rate my answers before you leave in case you get busy and forget to come back after this is fixed. Rating my answer does not close the call, but we only get paid for working on calls that we recieve positive ratings.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks. Had to leave suddenly. I'll keep you posted and submit review.
Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.

Ok thank you