Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

We are a large kitchen distributer and supplied the cabinets

Customer Question

We are a large kitchen distributer and supplied the cabinets to a project that has about 200 units. One day the PM called and said that the standard GE dishwasher that was supplied to the project, a GSD4000D, would not fit into the 24" wide space that was left by the cabinets installers, which we had called for on our shop drawings.
They backcharged us THOUSANDS of $ for having sent their installers back to every kitchen to widen the opening by 1/4". Unfortunately, this was done before our Field Man could see the condition. All the specs everywhere for this unit calls for a 24" (min) wide opening between the cabinets.
However, the specifications for the dishwasher, and everything I can find online, says that the dishwasher measures 24", with that dimension being shown only on the top of the door.
Their contention is "you cant expect to get a 24" wide dishwasher into a 24" wide opening, there must be some wiggle room". Since the work has been done and there are no dishwashers left over that can be measured for the width of the parts behind the door/control panel, I cant contest this.
Are you able to give me some more exact widths for this model, for instance, the width at the back, the width just behind the first 23 3/8" of depth that is shown? Without it, I cannot make a case for it being their installers fault for either not having a full 24" or the cabinets no being square, or what I suspect REALLY happened is that because these are builder grade face frame cabinets, their installers measured between the sides and not the face frames, which have slight 'ears' that are about 3/16" wide on each side, but that is where the cabinet is measured from.
Please give me something I can use.
Thank you
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 10 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond sometimes I get your replies late so there may be a delay in my response.

If the cabinets are 24" wide for the opening any of the dishwasher will fit. They did not take into account the face overlays and are idiots. Whoever put the cabinets in it is their fault.