Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My washer is putting holes in towels, shirts, pants, etc and

Customer Question

Hi ***** ***** my name is***** washer is putting holes in towels, shirts, pants, etc and I am troubleshooting the problem but haven't found the cause. Looked at agitator (removed and checked for rough edges) checked tub for rough edges (none found), ran fewer clothes in cold water but still have the problem. Got any suggestions? Thank you. Dave
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Sure. My washer dryer unit is a Maytag model LSG7806AAE stack unit. The clothes have holes, wear marks on jeans that appear to be from abrasion. I have double checked to make sure clothes do not have sharp objects or other things that might cause the problem. I wash jeans inside out.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Appliance Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

So this can really only be caused by the agitator itself if the issue is coming from the agitator. The agitator has been re-designed but you and remove the set screw coming in from the side of the agitator and then lift the agitator up and out to see if anything under the agitator looks like it might be grabbing the clothing. If not then you'd want to order part number 207538 which is the new agitator.

That being said, the washer isn't usually the issue, the issue is usually the dryer. A gap develops between the drum and the front drum support as the front seal and glides wear down. If the front seal is wearing out on the drum causing clothes to catch in the gap as the drum turns, you'd need to replace the front seal which is part number 314820.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.