Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I tried to start the wash and the front loading whirlpool

Customer Question

i tried to start the wash and the front loading whirlpool machine door locked and will not unlock. I have unplugged it and then plugged it back in. I still cannot get it to budge. The wash never started. Just locked the door.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: it is a Whirlpool duet. I have pushed the pause cancel and that doesn't work. It said to push that twice. I have tried the control lock / unlock
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Appliance Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 10 months ago.

It sounds like your control lock has failed. To unlock the door, remove the 3 screws along the bottom of the lower front panel. The panel will then pull straight down and off. Once you remove this panel you can reach up behind the upper front panel and pull down on the small plastic pull tab attached to the bottom of the door lock assembly. This will manually unlock the door so you can open the door.

Then you can try to start another cycle and if you run into the same problem, replace the door latch.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.