Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I own a Miele rotary iron B995D (3,5 kw powered by 5,5 kw

Customer Question

I own a Miele rotary iron B995D (3,5 kw powered by 5,5 kw 110 to 220 v transformer). It used to work perfect for the past 8 months. Two weeks ago has started to shut down the transformer: it works for 5-10 minutes , then the transformer shuts down - probably due to overheating. It takes another 2-3 minutes for the transformer to turn back on and then starts to work again. If we try to use the steam option it shuts down the transformer right away.
How can I fix this?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 10 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond sometimes I get your replies late so there may be a delay in my response.

You may have a bad transformer I have seen them go bad and start overheating. I would replace the transformer on the unit to correct that issue.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING SYSTEM on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi, the transformer is brand new...I have bought it a few days ago. For the past 8 months I have used the iron with a 3 kw transformer that has worked perfectly until it shut down completely (I could not get it to work again). After that happened I have thought I will by a bigger one (5.5 kw) to prevent this issue for the future but this one does work only as I have described in my previous message.

If the heater is bad or shorted that could causes the transformer to overheat as well I would think that is the only thing I think it could be other than the transformer. There is nothing else.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
How do I check if the iron is shorted? It seems to work well , at least for 5-10 minutes until the transformer shuts down...

The heating element is likely drawing too much current you would have to check the current draw on the unit with a meter, but honestly I would change out the element.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have paid 3000 USD on the iron so I need to do some diagnosis before I change the element. Can you explain to me how do I check the current draw and what type of meter do I need to do this?

This is complicated to test, I can link you a service manual as you should use that or get a tech out for this issue.